Octane 92

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

trauts92
c

Octane 92

Post by trauts92 »

Can a octane 92 by blackfly also be used solo, considering I sometime paddle with a partner and sometimes paddle solo ?
stroker
c

Re: Octane 92

Post by stroker »

Hey, I've been wanting to ask that question too! It would be cool if you could do an outfitting mod to switch from solo to duo as needed. I've heard of people paddling the 92 solo but they were doing it with the standard outfitting. I'd like to have a 92 with the "option" of swapping in a solo saddle for solo days. How hard could it be to come up with that?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Many people have pondered this. It would involved moving thwarts, etc. buy 2. Jeremy is the only WW manufacturer now.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

It can be done easily. Paddlers have been modifying kayaks and boats forever. Hopefully he can rise to the occasion. Good for him. :D
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

chuck naill wrote:It can be done easily. Paddlers have been modifying kayaks and boats forever. Hopefully he can rise to the occasion. Good for him. :D
We have an Octane92, and know someone with an Octane91. I wouldn't be so quick to assume it is "easily" switched from tandem to solo. You'd need some way of temporarily attaching the outfitting (Velcro?) and knee pads, and you'd need several different thwart positions. You'd also need to double up on the outfitting. The Octane92's outfitting has merged the saddle of the front paddler to the knee braces for the back paddler. That's required because there's only the center thwart.

Yes, you can modify all of that, but it isn't as simple as it sounds. And the cost of buying extra outfitting isn't cheap.

I've paddled the Octane92 solo for several rapids, obviously sitting in the stern outfitting. It works, but wouldn't be my choice given that the bow rises up a bit too much. You really want to have the pedestal more forward if paddling that hull as a solo boat.