Pépé - An extra wide slalom C1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Matt Fritz
C Guru

Re: Pépé - An extra wide slalom C1

Post by Matt Fritz »

At this point I bought 35 yards of 50" wide carbon fiber and two gallons of slow epoxy.
Attachments
IMG_0205.jpg
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Now I cut out 5 decks and 5 hulls from the carbon. I cut them at about 15 degree angle to waste less material. When laying up, I turned every other layer upside down so that the carbon fibers would run in two different direction.
Attachments
IMG_0213.jpg
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

I did two test layups to practice wetting out the carbon, figure out how to do the sharp stern edge and feel the stiffness of 5 layers.

My first idea of wrapping the carbon around the sharp edge did not work. It would alway lift up and form air bubbles underneath.

My second idea worked great. I first layed up two layers of kevlar bias tape on the sharp edge using thickened epoxy. Then I layed up 5 layers on the hull letting it over hang the edge, waited for it to gel, then trimmed it flush with scissors. Next I layed up the 5 layers of the deck letting it over hang the edge, waited for it to gel and then trimmed it flush. It is basically laying in the inside seam first.
Attachments
IMG_0210.jpg
IMG_0212.JPG
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Now I was ready for the real thing. I had to do it in the house as it was too cold for the epoxy in the garage. I have a very understanding wife. She even mixed all of the epoxy for us. I took 5 of us 6 hours to lay up the hull and deck.
Attachments
IMG_0215.JPG
Last edited by Matt Fritz on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

First we put in the two layers of kevlar bias tape for the sharp stern edge only.
Attachments
IMG_0228.JPG
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Next we did the hull. We painted epoxy on the hull. Then we layed down one layer of carbon. Then we completely wet it out. Then we layed down the next layer and completely wet it out. We repeated this until all layers were done.
Attachments
IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1963.JPG
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

We waited until the hull was pretty stiff and then turned the boat over. I was glad the whole thing didn't drop off the plug. While the hull was stiffening, I kept painting epoxy on the kevlar bias tap in the stern and the sides of the bow where the deck would overlay. I wanted to make sure these areas did not cure too much so that I would get a good bond.
Attachments
IMG_0233.JPG
Last edited by Matt Fritz on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Now we did the deck the same way as the hull. I thought the cockpit recess might give us some problems, but the carbon fiber conformed down into it easily. The hardest part was probably rolling out the carbon each time. We would get off a little one way and then have to work it back the other way. I did cut the carbon pieced oversize to begin with and trimmed them to the final size after they were on the boat.

Thanks to Scott, Ryan, Denny and my wife Jennifer for giving up their day to help me with this.
Attachments
IMG_1970.JPG
Last edited by Matt Fritz on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Here is where I cooked it overnight to help it cure. According to west systems, this can help with final strength. I got up to about 120 degree F.
Attachments
IMG_0216.JPG
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Next I cut out the cockpit with a jig saw and started pulling the foam out in chunks. I tried every tool you could imagine. Once I got away from the cockpit, my only tool was a drywall saw tied to a broom stick. I stayed up all night for two nights to finish this. I couldn't imagine doing an inside seam could be any harder than this.
Attachments
IMG_0219.jpg
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Next I painted on two coats of epoxy. I had some trouble with bubbles, but just decided to sand them out later.
Attachments
IMG_0256.JPG
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Here is a look at the stern edge on the inside. Looks like a perfect inside seam. You can also see the full length 2" foam pillars. I could have saved some weight with 1" pillars, but I already had the 2" foam.
Attachments
IMG_0272.JPG
Last edited by Matt Fritz on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

After the pillars were installed, the boat was plenty stiff every where except for under the pedestal. I added two layers of carbon on the inside to this area over a lattice of 1/8" foam. This really stiffened it up.

Also, you can see the cockpit combing that was added. To do it I superglued a 3/4" hose to the deck. Then with the boat upside down between two saw horses, I wrapped the hose in 4 layers of carbon fiber. I used thickened epoxy to make it stick where is wrapped around the bottom of the hose. When this just gel'ed, I cut it cleanly with a knife and then pulled the hose out. This was by far the messiest job. I worn a grocery bag on my head to keep the epoxy out of my hair.
Attachments
IMG_0269.JPG
Last edited by Matt Fritz on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

Now I put in strap anchors.
Attachments
IMG_0273.JPG
Matt Fritz
C Guru

Post by Matt Fritz »

And then my knee cups / pedestal that I took out of my Lizard. These weight 2.5 lbs. I wanted to make a new set from carbon fiber, but I ran out of time.
Attachments
IMG_0277.jpg
IMG_0278.jpg
IMG_0279.JPG