PFD

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Brendan
C Guru

PFD

Post by Brendan »

I need to replace my old PFD- I have been using a stohlquist pull over- I'd like something that zips on the side or front. I don't keep up much with the products and local stores are somewhat limited in selection. I paddle C-1 and OC-1. Any suggestions/recommendations?
Brendan
ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: PFD

Post by ian123 »

Astral green jacket
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

For OC-1 I have a Kokatat Pro, liked it. Bought an Astral Green Jacket, love it.
Very flexible, and it doesn't bulk up in the front when I'm sitting lower in my kayak.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I've sold my astral green jacket and got a Palm Amp, for one single reason.

The astral green jacket has a brilliant fitting with 3 straps each side. But I couldn't find the quick-release when I needed to, I was always grabbing one of the other straps. That's the one and only reason I kicked mine out: too many straps and loose ends dangling around. And stuffing the irrelevant away is no solution, they come out in turbulent water.
Pretty pleased with my Palm Amp so far.
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I like my Stohlquist Rocker.
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

I just bought a Rocker as well. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it feels pretty good.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Astral Sea Wolf + my old chest harness = almost a Green Jacket

(I sea kayak as well as WW kayaking and WW canoeing)

I like it because it allows plenty of shoulder articulation and the shoulder strap system allows C1/OC1 paddlers to move the lower buoyancy slab down the body relative to the upper part with the pocket - they won't quite sit directly above/below but there is minimal overlap greatly reducing the front bulk which can upset cross deck strokes and rolling.
Oh, and it has a pocket for a hydration pouch for those longer trips.
Only minus point for the Sea Wolf used like this is that there are (were, there is a revised version which which may differ) no lash tabs for a knife - all the loops for attaching a chest harness are included so in every other respect it upgrades to a Green Jacket using your old harness.

I know I should buy British, but I didn't like any of the Palm offerings with their foot-thick slab of foam sticking out in front and getting in my way.
Pejibaye
c

Post by Pejibaye »

I bought and returned six PFDs before I kept the Astral YTV. I paddle OC1 and kayak and am short. I like the fact that it doesn't have a lot of extra stuff. It's a pullover, has a knife tab on the front, two pockets, and straps on the side. That's it. It's not a rescue vest, but it does give you plenty of room to move.

The lesson I learned: don't go by the stated size; read the measurements. A small-medium for one PFD is not the same as it is for another, even within the same brand, and sometimes it's not clear whether you're looking at a woman's or man's PFD.
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

I still love my old Astral Tempo 200 zip front. I'm gonna wear it until it falls off of me.-M- :D
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I purchased Kokatat Ronin Pro PFD but our waters are still frozen. I have heard good things about it before I bought it and I've owned and liked my past Kokatat PFDs.

I've never owned an Astral but of course, they make excellent PFDs.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brendan
C Guru

Post by Brendan »

Thanks for the responses and input on PFD's- I ordered the Rocker yesterday so will see how it fits in a week or so. Vests sure have come a long way from when the primo vest was the Extrasport Hi-Float (with crotch starps)!
Brendan