L'edge vs. Blackfly Octane 85

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pejibaye
c

L'edge vs. Blackfly Octane 85

Post by Pejibaye »

I'm an Outrage paddler, looking at the plastic boats for the first time. My disadvantage is that I'm female, 5 feet O inches with REALLY short legs (26 inch inseam). Outfitting is going to be a challenge regardless of my choice, because my legs are 4-6 inches too short for the outfitting that comes from the factory. Both boats will be considerably heavier than my Outrage. Given this, I'm looking for opinions on which boat is better. Thanks.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: L'edge vs. Blackfly Octane 85

Post by the great gonzo »

The L'Edge is quite wide, tall and voluminous. I am 6ft and weigh about 180-185 lbs and find the L'Edge at the upper end of boat size for my liking (I prefer relatively small volume boats).
I would think that for someone 5 ft tall it would be too much boat.
The Octane 85 is quite a bit smaller and would be more size appropriate, I think.
As far as the outfitting is concerned, I would see if the manufacturer of the boat you eventually choose can send you one with a saddle that does not have the thigh hooks attached yet, that would allow you to put them exactly in the position that is appropriate for you, without the need to add a ton of foam just to fit. This would obviously require you to glue in the saddle yourself.
Nothing anyone can do about the weicht though, no plastic boat will come close to the Outrage in weight.
Depending on the type of rivers you run, you might also want to check out the Millbrook Blink, that is your only short boat option that is really light as well.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
zen_ben
C Boater

Post by zen_ben »

My wife (5' 2") got her Octane 85 this summer after having the chance to demo it alongside the Option on the Nantahala. She went from not wanting to run the falls in the Option to styling it in the Octane 85. She has done very little to adjust the outfitting and is happy with the fit. I would just add that at 5' 11" and with long legs, it is too small/tight for me.
Ben

Go beyond Leave no trace
Let's Erase the trace
Pack out more than you pack in
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you are in the weight range (up to 110 lbs easily) you might want to check out the Splash as well...

http://www.compositecreations.ca/one-dr ... le-splash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've played with it a bit, and it was amusing and surprisingly stable... and I'm 5'8" and 170 lbs....

Admittedly it's not plastic:)
Keep the C!
Adam
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Decide on the boat you like and buy it empty and get Matt Todhunter at Ridge Spirit Outfitting to make you a custom saddle.
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

I'll echo what Gonzo said. I'm 6', 165 lbs and the L'edge was just too much boat.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

If you liked the Outrage, you might want to check into the Esquif Prelude. It has a reputation for lacking primary stability, but so does the Outrage, and what's more, at your size, the Prelude might feel downright stable compared to how it feels for a 6-foot guy. It's also a narrower boat by several inches than the L-Edge, and by over two inches than the Octane 85 and Option. That helps with keeping a vertical paddle if you don't have long arms. What's more, the Prelude is one of the lighter PE boats at 45 pounds outfitted. Try before you buy if you can. Both my wife (5'5") and I (5'11") paddle Preludes and love them.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

a person of your size ... the 85 or the Option would be the ones that I would recommend... the Option is a Displacement Hull and the 85 is a planing hull
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Millbrook Blink. A great boat light stable fast short just don't deliberately smash it too much. It is a tough boat though
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I'll second the Millbrook Blink!
JKaz......
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Kaz - how would a Blink be for a larger paddler (220lbs +) in big volume and on flat water between rapids?

I'm not committing to being in the market for a new boat, but I may be thinking ahead a year or so....
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Jim, I think you'd be fine in Big water at 220. On the flats it paddles easily, but is definitely no Shacho :D . Accelerates quickly but reaches top speed in 3 or 4 good strokes...but that said, on flatwater I think it moves along well enough and easily so don't feel worn out by the time you reach the next rapids :)
I think you'd really enjoy it!

Mikey B
dirk
C Boater

Post by dirk »

I would second the recommendation on the Prelude. I came from an Ocoee and found the transition easy. I'm 5'10" and 175 and find it lighter and more stable than people give it credit. And surprisingly stable full of water. I've not paddled the Option or Octane 85.
Austin, TX
OC1
drrpm
C Guru

Post by drrpm »

Have you considered a C-boat? You're small enough to fit in one with reasonable comfort and it would be easier to handle on and off the water.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Good suggestions so far.

Glass/composite type hulls are light and would be worth considering. Likewise, a C1 would be light.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;