C1 Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dave.E
C Guru

C1 Outfitting

Post by Dave.E »

Spent a long time machining parts and testing this... Weights around 10lbs.

Thoughts?

I have manufacturing drawings ready to go, if I were to ask a shop to make a run of these would anyone be interested? Not sure cost at this point. Tested on the stomper so far. If there is interest I will test it on other boats and make some modifications to make it a bit more versatile.

Last edited by Dave.E on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nam
C Guru

Re: C1 Outfitting

Post by nam »

Looks awesome and solid. The back rest metal bar is a bit scary, but that is prob. just me. How are the strapping, is it lose. Good work on installing the airplane buckles.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

+1 Awesome!
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

A cool addition to this would be making a Kayak seat that goes with it that allows you to go from C1 back to K1 and then back to C1 really quickly. It looks like a perfect platform for that. I may be way off on this but it may make a really interesting system for Kayak/Canoe schools to get a dual purpose out of a hull.
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

nam wrote:Looks awesome and solid. The back rest metal bar is a bit scary, but that is prob. just me. How are the strapping, is it lose. Good work on installing the airplane buckles.
Straps are snowboard bindings. Being loose isn't an issue. You could probably get them tight enough to do nerve damage lol.

Why are you nervous about the metal back support? It has plastic riveted to it and 2" of foam glued to that.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Slightly off topic - Mat was looking for screws for the grab loops on his Stomper C1 conversion yesterday, do you know what size they are?

My guess was 1/4" UNC but one of the other guys reckoned 1/4" BSW or M6. :)

(I presume he just got a shell to outfit).
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

JimW wrote:Slightly off topic - Mat was looking for screws for the grab loops on his Stomper C1 conversion yesterday, do you know what size they are?

My guess was 1/4" UNC but one of the other guys reckoned 1/4" BSW or M6. :)

(I presume he just got a shell to outfit).
I didn't look at the grab loop, but everything so far has been 1/4"
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Cool, I'm pretty sure it will be UNC, I don't think Whitworth was ever really used outside the UK!
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

JimW wrote:Cool, I'm pretty sure it will be UNC, I don't think Whitworth was ever really used outside the UK!
Just use whatever fasteners you want. If anyone questions you just say you did it for clearance :lol:
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

JimW wrote:Cool, I'm pretty sure it will be UNC, I don't think Whitworth was ever really used outside the UK!
Nobody voluntarily, but pre-1970 British cars and even later British motorcycles had Whitworth and British Standard fasteners. I still have a set of wrenches and sockets for them... Anybody need their SU carbs rebuilt? :wink:
Bob P
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Looks awesome, good to see i'm not the only nut case.!
I like your solution for the outer knee strap anchor. If you could get it lower and bring the knee pad up the side, it will make the knee straps feel just like a bulkhead.
The concern about the back rest is valid. It's hard to tell from the pics, just make sure that there is no way it can hurt your back if you were pinned to the back deck with force.
I wonder how you dealt with the rocker in the hull, and I wonfer how much it flexes. My first prototype was too stiff and, besides being bad for the hull, it felt horrible when i did rock boofs or hit rocks.
Is that 10 lbs including all the bolts, buckles, and straps?

Again, awsome job!
Larry
C1NCR
C Boater

Post by C1NCR »

I am in if the price is anywhere close to reasonable.
I have a Jeffe Grande that has been waiting for some better outfitting
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Larry,

Is your concern with the aluminum backbone? I'm curious as I'm going to be converting a Bliss-stick Mystic and was going to use 3" aluminum tubing but have concerns about it being too stiff. Considering using a pair of 1.5" PVC pipe instead. Wish more boats came with seat rails like the LL's!
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I wonder how you dealt with the rocker in the hull, and I wonfer how much it flexes
I've always wondered about that with the classic fence rail conversion also. The only conversion I've done so far has been on a LL boat with the factory rail. The factory rail conforms to the rocker. But wouldn't a stiff rail leave empty space somewhere in the middle? Maybe you just shim some foam down there?

It's looking good, Dave!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Buster: People usually fit the straight rail to the curved hull with foam, it's not really a big deal. I was just curious if dave bent the tube.

Also Dave: have any pics of how the knee spreader and seat adjust?
Larry