Update on Mohawk

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Update on Mohawk

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I know a lot of people feel we are keeping a deep dark secret about what we are doing, this is not the case. We have just been too busy to spend much time on-line. We are a tiny company, we have 3 employees. One handling all the blow stuff, one handling the foot brace operation, then me handling everything from building improvements to mold building to designing new boat and every thing boat related (outfitting, floatation). Yes this has been a slow process with the Phiend, but we are doing our best to make sure when it is released we can deliver the best product for the best price. We (greg) has spent a long time (much of the last 3 years) rebuilding and upgrading the blow mold operation. Making a machine run predictably, adding in new machines to be able to handle all of our on scrap plastic in house and not send it to a land field. A lot of time has been spent developing molds for large part blow molding. In the middle of all of this royalex was discontinued and we moved into a larger building that needed a bunch of repairs and upgrades. Yes it has been a slow process, (you should be in my shoes). Our goal as a company is to be able to produce boats that we can control the price of, we dont want to have to charge $2000 for toys. I feel one of the reasons canoeing has died off is the cost of a boat we will change this. I do not want to release a boat that has issues that have to be warranted so even after you start seeing a Phiends around we will do lots of r&d work to make sure that we dont have any problems. It is a hard industry we are in not much money in it, and we have no other companies to rob ideas and practices from. If you have questions ask I will happily answer everyone of them I can.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
stroker
c

Re: Update on Mohawk

Post by stroker »

Thanks for the update! Anxious to see what you guys come out with. I appreciate that your trying to produce a quality boat, at an affordable price!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks for the update Richard. Mohawk has been an important player for quite some time and it'll be great to see your next design and material. May you sell loads of them.

With the trend to shorter boats, there's some exciting choices for many ww canoeists now, but not for everyone... will Mohawk have something that suits folks who weigh upwards of 220lbs?

Pat.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Pat we will be introducing a big boy boat. the Phiend was prototype with a guy that wheighs 235 and he like it so we will have to see.
Richard Guin
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thanks for the update Richard! We're all looking forward to (rooting for you too) what come out of all your hard work!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
road_warrior64
C Boater

Post by road_warrior64 »

It'd be great to buy another canoe from Mohawk. I was thinking about them yesterday while out paddling. When I bought my boat from them, they showed me around the factory and outfitted my canoe while I waited. Great guys and just two hours away. Bring on the new designs!
Einar
CBoats Addict

220 lbs?

Post by Einar »

220 lbs ?

Bettter skip Christmas dinner Pat, that broken ankle is killing ya in more ways than one.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Not just 220, but "upwards of" :( Ankle-schmankle, it's the darn rat race of young kids and a desk job that's killing me in more ways than one.

Hey wait, you mean it's not the hull designs that are changing and getting wetter? It's me! Maybe the new boats aren't any smaller at all, they just feel that way to me? :cry:

P.
cli4d36p
c

Post by cli4d36p »

Any update on Mohawk? I see someone is posting on Facebook often usually related to the online store. I'm wondering if the loss of royalex (income and cash flow) was too much to overcome. Or is the effort still pressing on?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

We are pressing on, with he death of Royalex, I changed the direction of Mohawk a little. We focused the last couple of years to develop a very user friendly online store that meets the needs of our customers. In that time we also brought all airbag production in house. Making all bags to order, and offering 5 colors keeps a person busy. Also during this time we have been mastering the art of making foot braces, (we make a lot of them). During this time I also started and in process of starting a kids mountain bike park called Sprout Works. And I have also been working on this
20840796_10213034309359725_471897531446397338_n.jpg
We have been a little busy.
Richard Guin
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Grateful for the update, Richard!

A quick question: With T-Formex now becoming available, will you be planning to resurrect the production of canoes?

Thanks

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The paddles of yesteryear wear made by a separate company, brother to the owner of the canoes.
At the moment we have no plans to use t formx. Very little interest in making most of our old models, I might try and do a plastic viper 11 though.
Richard Guin
road_warrior64
C Boater

Post by road_warrior64 »

So glad to hear you guys are still alive. Several years ago, I drove to your Chattanooga factory and bought my Solo 13. It's been the best boat and has made me a steadfast Mohawk fan. Thanks for the update. Please continue to post your progress.

John