Choosing a boat to convert

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Spurgeon

Choosing a boat to convert

Post by Spurgeon »

Greetings, I have a couple of options in kayaks that I can convert into a C-1. This will be my first attempt at a conversion and my goal is mostly something that is easily portable for some pool time and learning with the eventual goal of play boating. My current available options are: Pyranha Inazone, Dagger Super Ego, Wave Sport Godzilla. I'm 6' and 200Lbs. Any thoughts? Thanks!
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Choosing a boat to convert

Post by ezwater »

Reeves "The Hawk" had a very successful career in a converted Godzilla.

That Pyranha had an excellent reputation as a kayak, but I think the Godzilla might make a better "base" as a c-1.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Do you know which one is most stable to you? I have known the Inazone and Godzilla to be successfully used as c-1s. I've paddled a Godzilla c-1 and really liked it. But, it was not what I would call a flat-sitting "stable" boat in that it always wanted to go toward either side when floating along. Consider starting with the one that is most stable feeling to you.

Good luck and have fun
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Bill Pennington would say "Convert them all!!" :-)
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I could be wrong but I seem to recall the inazone cockpit being too narrow...
Larry
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

What size inazone? The 240 would probably make a nice C1 it was super flat and stable, 220 might be a bit skinny though. Can't remember what the cockpits are like on them.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Lots of rave for the Pyranha Inazone, as a kayak. Well make, good design. But a narrow cockpit for C1 paddlers.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Not Elvis (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=857) paddles an Inazone 240 C1 conversion as his main boat and considers it to the pretty much perfect.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Haven't converted any of the 3, put based on your goal being play boating I would probably rule out the Godzilla.
The Super Ego is, if memory serves me correctly, a fit slicier than the Inazone, which might make cartwheeling and such easier.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Spurgeon

Post by Spurgeon »

Thanks a bunch everyone!
The Inazone is the 232 and I've been quite enjoying it as a kayak which has left me of 2 minds - 1. leave it alone cause I like it and it works 2. Convert it cause I like it and it works.
I had heard of Godzilla converts and a number of the comments had referenced stability as an issue.
If memory serves correct he Inazone is the widest of these three boats. Is there such a thing as "ideal" hull width for a C-1? Is wider better as a beginner?
I did have a Hydra Centaur many moons ago before I became a responsible adult with kids and what not...
Thanks for the input!
edg
C Guru

Post by edg »

I have a converted Prozone 230- probably similar to the Inazone. I'm 5'8"/165-170 lbs, and it's a tight fit. I would think that much over 200lbs or with a saddle much over 5" and things would get interesting quickly. I should add that I pretty much suck as a playboater....edg
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Is there such a thing as "ideal" hull width for a C-1?
There's more to stability than width... but having said that, in my limited experience, 25" wide is about as narrow as you want to go. I'd aim for 26" or more.