Roll Problems/?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

Roll Problems/?

Post by hammerhead »

Had It, Then I didn't...My roll that is. I'm unsure if it is the cause of a bad roll or the effect of bad technique, but when my roll fails I almost always notice my butt is well off the saddle. I have knee straps, thigh straps & foot blocks built on a dagger/perception saddle in my Atom & Critical Mass conversion. Help!
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Roll Problems/?

Post by ezwater »

Your butt won't rise when you succeed in locating the pivot center of your hip snap within your pelvis.

What you're experiencing is a symptom of trying to push up with the arms and upper body. Instead, think of your pelvis and hips as the roller of a window shade. You trip the roller and it reels your body in like the fabric of a shade.

That's the most important part, but because I am so tall, I strop the blade forward while my body jacknifes toward and then over the bow. This recovers a tremendous amount of angular momentum to assist completion.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Wheel within a wheel

Post by Einar »

I like the "window shade" analogy. I've thought of it as an outside wheel (blade tip) and an inside axle (hip flip),
sort of a wheel within a wheel idea. It meant something to me, guess you had to be there.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Thanks for the input. Makes a lot of sense. No I go practice. Peace...
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I have the same problem in boats without a lap belt. A taller backrest will help keep you in the boat.