Anchor points, suppliers and bonding.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

Anchor points, suppliers and bonding.

Post by RobertM »

So, I have a Composite Creations Bulldog, which is a riot to paddle, but I need to move the outfitting.

The boat came with a Mike Yee set-up, I'm guessing that whoever installed had much longer legs than I do. I want to install a second set of outboard anchors for both the knee and thigh straps and I was looking for a good source of anchor points.

I've looked at Northwoods, NRS and Mike Yee, I was wondering if there were any other places I should be looking before I commit.

Thanks
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
Riverken
C Guru

Re: Anchor points, suppliers and bonding.

Post by Riverken »

I have no other suggestions for outfitting, but I am very curious about your boat. I'd never heard of the Bulldog. I looked at some videos of it and it looks interesting. What is it like to paddle? Also, given that it is a composite, can you glue anchor points to it using contact cement (which in my experience does not bear pulling stress well), or do you need something special?
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

West G-flex, though sometimes the result is lumpy and ugly.
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

Riverken:

The boat is hilariously good fun , but I've got little context for it compared to other open canoes. It's my first open boat.

Compared to my Cascade it has sharp edges, (I suppose that, compared to a Cascade, everything has sharp edges), but it also has enormous secondary stability, so that you have that extra half-second to catch yourself when you do catch an edge wrong. It's also remarkably friendly in a side-surf. Other than the soul-rending noises it makes when you hit a rock, the boat is great. That said, I'm a class II-III paddler, not running any big droops, and I'm not big on boofs, so the loud noises are fairly rare.

Even the noise is somewhat mis-leading, as I've given the boat several good bashings and only had to patch some minor cracks. Still, it's not my go-to boat when the water is expected to be very thin.

I think I paddled with you at ALF a few years ago, I would have been in my Cascade, this year I had the Bulldog but I was only around for the Friday before and Saturday. If you make it down next year and see the boat say hey and take it for a spin, I've got the only one I've ever seen in person, and I don't mind giving rides.
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
Riverken
C Guru

Post by Riverken »

Thank you. I missed ALF this year, but hopefully next year I'll be there and I'd love to try out the Bulldog.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Northwater, not Northwoods?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

Check, Northwater,

Slip between brain and fingers.
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Yes, the Bulldog is a great boat to paddle. I bought one used, and put around 30 trips on the odometer, before replacing it with an Option.

It excels at surfing! Do a 'Search Forum' -- there's a lot of related comments.

Northwater anchors work very well. It's quite possible to install them onto composite just as easily as onto Royalex, using Vinyltek-2000 (or American equivalent.) Rough up the hull well, with coarse sandpaper.

Hope you have as much fun in your Bulldog as I had in mine!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !