AC/DC review

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

AC/DC review

Post by ezwater »

This is a review from "across the pond" by a buy who took a chance that an AC/DC could be his all around canoe.

"Finally I received my ACDC three weeks ago. We ordered two and got them shipped over here by a german company. Had not so much time, so our first paddling in it was last Saturday on a narrow, twisty stream. Took my wife and our two little girls (2 and 4) with me. The ACDC is very stable, even if the girls hung over the gunnels to touch the water... It is plenty fast compared to my Prospector and it turns with no effort. So much easier to paddle - I can hardly believe it!
With all of us and some food in (around 200kg) , the boat was about 2" in the water.
Totally surprised by the boats speed up river against the current, paddling solo.
So - tidy up your canoe-storage and get yourself one ;-)"
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: AC/DC review

Post by Paddle Power »

That's a glowing review.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

All I know is.If you're about to rock....they'll salute you.-M- :lol:
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

In all fairness I have to add that he wasn't overly impressed with the craftsmanship on the boat. Disclaimer - So if you're expecting something bright and glossy and mechanically perfect, look elsewhere.
JKaz......
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Work on my old Wide Ride is excellent. And my Edsel is fine except where Connolly's mold was leaky. If your boats were pristine, they would cost twice as much. GITTEERDONE!

Most boat buyers have a funny attitude, wanting a polished hull like on a Liquid Logic and then taking it out and banging and scraping it to a dull, non-reflective surface.

"Hey Mr. Honda dealer, what discount do I get for a little hail damage?"
gerrit
c

Post by gerrit »

Hi folks,

let me introduce me - I am the "he" and the "buy from across the pond" :lol:

Just want to get some things sorted out: My fussy comments about my boat were regarding some humps of resin, of which most I did already remove with a cutter. The other things are some dodgy looking marks at the stern. Do I have to like that on a new boat? Not sure.

As Mr. ezwater posted my first impressions, which I sent him on SOTP in reply of asking him about the ACDC (as he seemed to know this boat), I want to say that my expectations regarding actually paddling this boat were exceeded by far. Sure, going solo on flat water it is no rocket, but still pretty fast and responsive.

And another point is - if you buy a Millbrook canoe, you actually get pretty much boat for the buck. Despite of my gripes regarding the stated issues, I am a happy paddler in my boat and it is very likely that my solo-boat to come will be another one from John - if he will make me one, still :wink:

Cheers,
Gerrit
Attachments
humps
humps
Stern
Stern
The buy from across the pond
The buy from across the pond
gerrit
c

Post by gerrit »

And one more.
Attachments
acdc.jpg
kaz

Post by kaz »

Let me add that the stern looks like that because the mold has a split stern. Makes it easier to get the boat out of the mold.
JKaz......
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I had a Mad River Malecite in skin coat instead of gel coat and it had quite a few imperfections...maybe somewhat typical? Plenty durable and worth the weight savings in my view.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Gerrit - thanks for the pictures! I'm curious about how the seats are installed. Did you do that or did Kaz install those that way? How heavy is it?
gerrit
c

Post by gerrit »

sbroam wrote:Gerrit - thanks for the pictures! I'm curious about how the seats are installed. Did you do that or did Kaz install those that way? How heavy is it?

You're welcome - glad that someone asks about the seat installation, as I have spent so much time on it :lol:

I glued some Aluminium angles to the hull, made 4 stripes of beautiful ash, bent them and mounted them to the angles. The aim was to make the seats adjustable for different loads / persons and for going solo.
You got me, though - this solution is a bit on the heavy side. Seat installation is (John, don't read, no, dooohh!!!) 5kg :oops: Without the seats and their supports, but including the airbags weight is 22kg. Guess I will laminate the supports (make tubes from kevlar) and make some leightweight seats. Or make pedestals from minicell. Or... Anyway, the weight is the reason why the seats look somewhat unfinished.
Attachments
DSCF0876.jpg
kaz

Post by kaz »

Looks good, Gerrit.
JKaz......
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

The 5 kg (11 lbs) I assume is for the two seats.

22 kg = 48.5 pounds in the US. That is light for a tandem whitewater canoe.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've made a bow slider that wasn't very heavy - I don't find that we adjust if often. It seems easier to adjust trim by shifting some gear :-)
https://picasaweb.google.com/1038689084 ... 9561420418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://picasaweb.google.com/1038689084 ... 9561420434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My solo paddling is from a kneeling thwart in this boat.

My question about the weight was about the overall weight of the boat, but I didn't make that clear. I see how you had to accommodate the changing width and why your seats are heavier. Interesting solution, though.

I'm curious what a vacuum bagged AC/DC will weigh :-) I'm really liking the looks of the boat and what I hear about it.
gerrit
c

Post by gerrit »

sbroam wrote:
My question about the weight was about the overall weight of the boat, but I didn't make that clear. I see how you had to accommodate the changing width and why your seats are heavier. Interesting solution, though.

I'm curious what a vacuum bagged AC/DC will weigh :-) I'm really liking the looks of the boat and what I hear about it.
The ACDC is already vacuum bagged, John claims 45lbs on his website. We opted for additional layers of S-Glass and Kevlar up to waterline, and the boats are still 45lbs - so maybe the 45lbs on the website refer to the "old" ACDC

My boat including seats and airbags is 27kg or 59lbs right now, as you may have figured already :wink: