Driveway epoxies

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Driveway epoxies

Post by yarnellboat »

Has anyone used, or considered-using-and-decided-not-to, any products like paint-on epoxies designed for sealing driveways etc.?

Seems there's a lot of variations to choose from:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-har ... ay;site=ct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recall hearing of trying some folks trying spry-on automotive rock guard, undercoating, and truck bed type products. I suppose if they worked really great, I'd have heard more.

I'd be considering it as a filler in delaminited Royalex chines, e.g. cut away the soft spots including outer vinyl and delaminated/spongy foam layers, and then replace with the epoxy driveway paint.

If not the epoxy paint, how about the rubberized crack caulking?

Thoughts? Better yet, experiences? Hopefully others have experimented along these lines?

Thanks, Pat.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Re: Driveway epoxies

Post by hazardharry »

DOH! i put a sheet of peel and stick rubber roof material on the hull. lit killed my boof and the canoe would stop at every rock like i had brakes. i would stay away from anything rubbery for the outside of the hull. i should have put it inside to stop all the leaks. it took hours to remove it. i had a couple of swims that day. the second one ripped off my knuckles. http://youtu.be/W2peRqEGeCo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Definitely want the hull repair to be slick. I was really impressed with a repair one friend did. He drilled holes halfway into the royalex (into the foam layer) and injected the thin G/flex to stiffen the hull. I'd then coat the repair area with a mix of the thick G/flex and graphite--another friend did that and it was very smooth and sick slick.
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

GFLex is the way to go. I've also successfully re-foamed squished cores using gorilla glue, then covered that with a filled GFlex Layer. It's holding up better than expected, really..
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Btw. Just get an Octane 85, you'll be rid of all the repairs and its so much fun.. ;D
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

g-flex and some of the West Graphite additive - slick and flexible!

Driveway epoxies really aren't made to flex.

I have used X-Line (like Rhino Liner) for non-skid in a motorboat, but not what you want on the outside of a canoe.