total shoulder replacement

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

open boater
C Boater

total shoulder replacement

Post by open boater »

After 40 years of dealing with a damaged shoulder, my orthopod has told me it's time for a total replacement.
It is my left shoulder and I'm a "left hand down" open boater, comfortable on the Savage, Lower Gauley etc.
Anyone out there have any experience with "totals" and how did you fare?
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: total shoulder replacement

Post by KNeal »

Hi, Tom. I work with a client who had a total shoulder replacement, probably 6 years ago. Tennis is off the "bucket list", but range-of-motion is really good and pain is gone! Really strong with little limitations on the "do not" list. You should be able to continue boating regularly after thorough rehab and allowing yourself to progress again in canoeing.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
open boater
C Boater

Post by open boater »

nobody out there has had a total shoulder replacement? anyone have a relative with one?
wruben

Post by wruben »

i had two shoulder rebuilds, not sure if either was a total or not..

Only on my RH shoulder and I am a RH side stonger open boater.

The rehab was key, first time I was super dilligent, all rehab and more, recovered really well..6-12months of physical therapy... second time, 12 years later, I rushed the rehab a little too much to be back on the water and noticed right away how much you torque up the ligments and muscles holding your shoulder together... I backed off right away and did a bit more "off side" paddling....

I still really mix up my paddling sides to balance the forces and wear on that rebuild shoulder...

hope that helps,

WALT
open boater
C Boater

Post by open boater »

rebuilds or replacement?
I had a Bankhart ligament repair done with great success in 1995. Took close to a full year of rehab-but I returned and have become a pretty devoted paddler.
Now my arthritis has progressed to the point of no return