OTC OC2

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hazardharry
CBoats Addict

OTC OC2

Post by hazardharry »

old town canoe appalachian16rx tamden i have cutomed out for camping. the coeman cooler squeezes in between the front saddle and bobbed carring yoke. a blue pak barrel nestles in behind the rear saddle with room for the coleman stove lantern tent sleeping bags food and cloths. i made my cleanest bilge system too on this build.
Attachments
P1010166.JPG
P1010167.JPG
P1010171.JPG
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Re: OTC OC2

Post by hazardharry »

some details. so far 2 Qts. red can with a third to go to lock down everything. :oops:
Attachments
P1010168.JPG
P1010169.JPG
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Nice work.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Sweet ride, Harry!
Joe
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Looks like nice work, but if your still just buying quarts ..your still just an amature. :wink:
Larry
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Harry, two questions. First, why is there no hazard tape on this boat? Second, why did you route the pump exhaust hose to the far side, rather than using a 90 degree hull fitting at the point where the hose rises up to the gunnel? [I see peapod did the same type of routing in the dual pump configuration he just posted a photo of in the "install toggle switch..." thread.]
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

NickParker wrote:Harry, two questions. First, why is there no hazard tape on this boat? Second, why did you route the pump exhaust hose to the far side, rather than using a 90 degree hull fitting at the point where the hose rises up to the gunnel? [I see peapod did the same type of routing in the dual pump configuration he just posted a photo of in the "install toggle switch..." thread.]
Scientific Wild Arsed Guess: To minimise the chance of snagging it if it runs up over an open span and because a short radius 90 bend slows the flow much more than a large radius bend. You could use 2 large radius 45 bends to take it up and out the same side with minimal disruption to flow, but running diagonally across the open span it's bound to collect something and get ripped out, clipping it to the hull geatly minimises that risk! Apart from slowing the flow, the flow imparts load on the bends, this can cause the hose to jump around when pumping - if the plumbing in your house knocks, it's probably because the plumber used to lots of sharp bends to make the runs fit neatly, rather than route for best hydraulic performance :)

(I think it is unfinished, hazard tape is presumably oneof the final touches?)
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

a sweep is more efficent than a 90. if you all look closely there is hazard tape just below the old town logo on the sides. it was on this boat before all the other things i own. i one of these photos you can see the raw blocks of foam getting ready for install.
Attachments
P1010159.JPG
P1010156.JPG
P1010141.JPG
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Thanks Harry, I figured it was so you could avoid back pressure from a right angle fitting. Nice clean job on the install, I like how you put the battery on the front pedestal. Makes perfect sense for this setup.

Regarding the hazard tape, it is good to see it is there, and all is well with the universe. :-)
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i had to add the pony saddle i made for the kid. it is removable with velcro strips.
Attachments
P1010176.JPG
P1010177.JPG
P1010178.JPG
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Re: OTC OC2.5

Post by hazardharry »

the girls
Attachments
P1010179.JPG