Bear Barrels question...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Bear Barrels question...

Post by PAC »

Thoughts on buying or renting backcountry food storage barrel with back pack strap for multi day canoe trip?

Where to get? Ones that are good and those to stay away from?

thanks
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Bear Barrels question...

Post by Sir Adam »

The folks that I know that use them around here seem to have gravitated to the EMS ones... not sure if that is price, accessibility, or actual usefulness.

My current theory is to stay away from bear-problem areas... I don't mind the bears, I want to avoid all the people who caused the problem (generally higher traffic areas...).
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

My current theory is to stay away from bear-problem areas... I don't mind the bears, I want to avoid all the people who caused the problem (generally higher traffic areas...).
Completely agree... I'm actually not really worried about bears. Their smaller buddies are what I'm more concerned with. Was swarmed by a pack of mid-night bandits on a trip out west years ago but the single small barrel (I've had for years) gave them a big FAIL.

However, they were pissed and really worked it hard. So looking for something larger to take place of an actual backpack - grant it where we plan to go most likely has fewer "people aware" critters. But want to make sure its a non-issue.

Also looking at taking the dog so that should cut down of night visits due to her life experiences on detailing with problem critters up to and including coyotes.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

I often pack all my gear in these type of barrels:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-414/recr ... /?q=barrel

They are 100% water tight (test them first), displace water like a float bag when strapped down, and resist punctures when being tossed around a portage. On the downside they are heavy, and are useless if you loose or damage the lid ring. I've been using them for over 20 years now and they are critter proof. I hate mice. Nothing is bear proof but I've never had issues with bears and I've never hung my food barrel. These probably seal out odours better than a bag but I believe the key to avoiding bears is keeping a clean camp. Not sure of the best source but they often pop up on Kijiji.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

pac, depending on when you need it I could lend you one. colonel carnage has dibs for a trip sometime this summer, not sure when
Joe
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thanks Joe. Lets see what Ed has planned. I appreciate it.

In the mean time I'll keep looking. :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Einar
CBoats Addict

...slowest dog.

Post by Einar »

I have 115 HD Seal Line bag with shoulder straps that will fit a barrel inside. Do the first portage with the bag, empty it and use it to haul the barrels.

As to dogs... you don't have to be faster than the fastest bear, you just have to faster than the slowest dog.

Nothing pisses a sow bear off faster than a yappy dog and the dog will soon pass you on the way to the truck, canoe, or wherever.
I had to listen to endless repeats of my dad's story of being chased around the Toyota by the bear, the dog, and the dad in various order.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thanks - Agree on the bear and dog. Hopefully dont see the prior.

Joe talked to Ed - his trip was scheduled for July but work cancelled that. I'm looking for Aug. Not sure date. Maybe hand off at UY race - if that works. Gives me a reason to show.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

8) Just give the bear both barrells.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

If you really aren't concerned about the bears, five gallon buckets with gamma seal lids from Lowes or Home Depot will keep things dry and the set is around ten bucks.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Used 5 gal buckets but the smaller critters can figure them out. Worked sort of okay but not 100%. But have that as a back up. :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Pac, you're welcome to the barrel but I don't have the straps or harness
Joe
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thanks Joe - I can figure out the strap issue - already think that is solved! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

ok just remind me via text as the race get closer. ill be headed out Thursday night. mick got fgz the giant group site at piney, second on the left, just past the pit toilet. lots of room to spread out
Joe
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Thanks - will do. Girl has her B-day party that date so I might not be staying but I am planning on being about to ge wet that day. C U there. Northern trip looking to be the 2nd to last week in August. :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator