Install toggle switch for pump bulkhead outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

riverharlot
C Boater

Install toggle switch for pump bulkhead outfitting

Post by riverharlot »

My 2 octanes have pumps and I'm currently in the process of installing them a little more permanently than duct tape and camo strap holding the pump. What suggestions can I get (outside of the obvious no pumps) to seat the toggle switch into the boat. Right now I have them taped in with duct tape inserted into the foam.
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
JimW
C Guru

Re: Install toggle switch for pump bulkhead outfitting

Post by JimW »

I always mount the battery in an IP68 box or pelicase using IP68 glands for the cables, if you use an IP68 rated toggle switch just drill an extra hole and mount it on the box with the terminals on the inside. Beware, many toggles with screw on rubber covers fall quite short of IP68 rating! (IP67 might be high enough, but I always go for IP68).

For my sea kayaks I have taken to encasing a reed in epoxy and mounting it under the deck, in my Ocoee I used one of these reeds and cable tied it to the thwart with a magnet tied to the bag strap so I could slide it up to the reed to switch it. It worked OK, unfortunately I used a poor quality IP68 connector so I could detach the battery box and the pins got bent (still waterproof, but no contact!) and I haven't got round to fixing it yet so #nopumps for me at present :)

The Whitesell Piranha I rented for the Grand Canyon had the battery in an ammo can with one of those toggles with screw on rubber cover and it survived OK - the water level came over it in lots of rapids and I had about 8 or 9 swims in total! I just wouldn't choose the rubber cover type for myself.

I guess you cut a slot in the bulkhead to slot the battery box into with the switch facing out, maybe a bit of shockcord over it to stop the box jumping out - I cut a similar clot in the back of my saddle in the Ocoee, which meant I had to run the cable along the rear thwart, up under the gunwale and then onto the front thwart (neatly tied/taped up so I couldn't snag it). A slot in the bulkhead and keeping everything close together would be better.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

lets see if CANOEWHITEWATER will post a picture of his set up for dual pumps. his switch case is small and superb.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
caverdan
Pain Boater

Post by caverdan »

I mounted the toggle switch into an 1.5" abs pipe cap, drilled a similar sized hole with a hole saw into the top of the bulkhead, a little deep so the switch is recessed, then fish wires through the foam with a piece of wire, make the connections, and push the cap into place. The connections will eventually corrode, but you should get a few years before that happens.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

It looks like this (I've fine-tuned it somewhat since this photo).
It looks like this (I've fine-tuned it somewhat since this photo).
I have a twin pump set-up in my L'Edge and Spark. It looks like this (I've fine-tuned it somewhat since this photo).
Attachments
The switch sits in a short length of PVC pipe, and the wires go through the thigh hook to the back, and around the front of the saddle to the battery compartment.
The switch sits in a short length of PVC pipe, and the wires go through the thigh hook to the back, and around the front of the saddle to the battery compartment.
full_pumpz_2.jpg
riverharlot
C Boater

Post by riverharlot »

Awesome. I have an Octane 92 that has double pumps and I've never been happy with the placement (each end of the saddle). Your design would be more efficient. Thanks!
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

I forgot to mention to place the switch on your off side, so that you can use it with your top hand. That way you can keep both hands on the paddle and switch it on/off without the blade getting in the way.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I drill a hole thru the top of the bulkhead on an angle coming out the front, then carve the foam for the switch, fish the wires thru, connect switch. Simple and effective. I was going to put PVC, but not needed. Also if I do place it to one side I prefer my onside so the lower hand quickly flips the switch and the trip stays under control. When I had wires in the thigh hook area there were more problems with connections since they were pulled more often.