Jamie McEwan

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Jamie McEwan

Post by sbroam »

Jamie McEwan has passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McEwan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blutopaddle
C Boater

Re: Jamie McEwan

Post by blutopaddle »

Scott,

Thanks for letting us know.

I heard it said once that in four minutes on the course in 1972, Jamie did as much to promote whitewater sport in the U.S. as all the clinics combined to that point. The whitewater slalom event, which was new to the Olympics that year (with the course that they could turn on and off) was a media darling, and Jamie made it even more exciting for those of from the United States by winning a medal. And to top it all off, he was a great guy too. He will be missed.

Tom Blue
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

And Jamie was much more than just a competitor himself. He (and others) maintained a practice site in Falls Village that anyone could use. It was not unusual for him to be on the shore coaching us lesser folks in temperatures that were far below freezing. For many years he rented out the house across the street to paddlers at a rate that I suspect that was far below his cost.

One of the Good Guys...
Bob P
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Very sad news. I only had the pleasure of corresponding with him via e-mail, but he was a generous, kind person who was truly passionate about canoeing, and those of us that canoe.
Keep the C!
Adam
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Wow. I had no idea he was sick.

He was a very special person - he has been an influence on multiple generations of C-Boaters.

His Web Site - http://www.jamiemcewan.com/index.php/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;