CBoats.net needs your help! Photography...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

CBoats.net needs your help! Photography...

Post by Sir Adam »

I admit, at this point our boat images are downright embarrassing. Originally everything was set for slow dial up connections when we started this site. Now that almost all have high speed connections, we really need to update our gallery.

So, what do I need? A photographer! Yes, I know, I used to be a professional for a bit. But I don't take many images these days (other than of the kids), and I have less time for what is needed.

So, what do we need, really? Someone with good photography skills to come hang out for a day (upstate NY). We'll figure out together how to highlight each boat to get good images of the design (hull, deck, etc..) on and off the water. You'll take lots of images... then (here is the big ask...) drop the best of each boat in to a folder for that boat. We'll take care of resizing as needed for thumbnails, etc... (batch processes are wonderful...).

This will help us update most rec. C1's....

For the rest of you not willing to come by for the day, please continue to send in images we can add to the collection, ESPECIALLY great ones of your favorite boat that we do not have yet!

Wondering what we've got? Check under "Boats" in the upper left...
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: CBoats.net needs your help! Photography...

Post by Mike W. »

WHAT?!? No pics of a metal-flake Viper? We've GOT to fix that. I can probably find some surfing pics of the Sith. I also noticed there are no images of a Vadja Nova. I can help w/ that one too. How big do you want the files?

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

1 mb or so is good -we'll resize as needed.

Thank you:)

I'd forgotten how great that Viper looks;)
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Thanks. It is a good looking boat when it's wet & the sun's shining on it. 8) I'll see if I can figure out how to shrink the files & get some to you.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Sir Adam, you do what you can with your on-site photographer. When I see the gaps in the c-1 record, I will fill in where I can.

In the past, the images of boats I have submitted have suffered mainly from small sizing, and to a lesser extent from picture angles that don't show what they should. But all things considered, the pictures I submitted of my Zealot, my Wide Ride, Andy Bridge's Magnet, and my ratty old Phoenix, were at least a good start.

Some of the most interesting boats are those so rare that you'll never get them in front of a photographer. The Minimax? The Glass Atom? I've seen one of each, but I never hope to see one again.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

What is the best way to send photos?
Preferred file format?

I have found a few that show OC1s off reasonably well - probably not quite to your specification because all are action shots. Aspect ratios vary a little because I had already tidied most of them up.

I can offer:
Big dog force
L'edge
Ocoee
Recon
Vertige
Encore

You already have photos of some but quite low resolution.

I might have some of C1 conversions if I look through again - currently without a camera so can't take any of my own C1's just now. or any more documentary ones of my Ocoee.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Action shots that show a good amount of the boat are GREAT, as well as the normal "spec" shot. Seeming them on the water is needed too:)

.jpg, .gif, .png, all are good.

1mb or so is a good size to start with file-size wise as as it's easy enough to send us 5 or so at a time and we'll have excellent quality to start with for the web. Our hope is better thumbnails, with linking to a really good image quality.

PLEASE put the boat model in the name. Include yours as well if you want.

For instance, if I was to submit one of the Mentor I might have mentorpearsall1.jpg . It makes it easier on the sorting...

Right now I think we'll focus on "C" designs (OC1, OC2, C1, C2...), and when we finally fix the "conversion database" and can again allow user uploads (with some size restrictions) we'll add to the conversion database. To be honest we were a bit disappointed - Kenneth put in a lot of time to create it, and a few very generous souls input a few boats, but not many participated, and that's what it needed to flourish. We'll do a lot of grunt work on the C and OC boats, but that's over 300 boats for us to catalog and upkeep data for - that's enough for us as a hobby:) . Eventually the user-entry database for conversions will be fixed though. No time frame though.

Thanks to all who are responding!

Info.... cboats.net is the perfect place to send any images:)
Keep the C!
Adam
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

3 emails sent, I also remembered I had some photos of the Whitesell Piranha I rented for the Grand Canyon, great boat!

Jim