Trying to control a solo canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

rev greenbud
c

Trying to control a solo canoe

Post by rev greenbud »

I live in Clyde nc and am looking for a group that i can canoe with. I've done alot of tamdom but, have made the switch to solo. I have a mohawk maxim and am trying to decide if i sould sell it or persevere. I would love to get with a group or a solo open boater to help me progress.
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Trying to control a solo canoe

Post by ezwater »

"Persevere" is like "perverse" with an e left over for self expression.

Switching to a short rockered solo can be frustrating.

Wayne Dickert used to head up instruction at Nantahala Outdoor Center, but I read he's retired into ministry. You never know whom you'll find kneeling in a pew.

Somebody here may know the link to Carolina Paddlers. I'd certainly come and help if I were closer.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Do not give up. You live in one of the best places in the world to paddle a stumpy creek canoe.

If you are up for the school of hard knocks, get on Facebook and find the GDI. The "core" of that group is in Chattanooga and east TN. They do a lot of open boating in the Smokies and will always welcome a newcomer.
FURZTROCKEN!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Don't give up.

Connect with other solo paddlers, take a lesson, and consider using a difference solo boat until you are ready for your boat.

Many paddlers would love to in your area.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Rev greenbud I love the Maxim for multiple reasons but this boat is not a very good beginners boat it is very unstable and twitchy.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I suggest you consider joining the Carolina Canoe Club and attending the Week of Rivers over by Bryson City this year if you are able: http://carolinacanoeclub.org/content/week-rivers-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although some people cannot abide clubs, belonging to one at least at first is a quick way to get to know other paddlers in the area. It is also an atmosphere in which you can often swap boats with other people and get a feel for what type of canoe might best suit you. The CCC has a number of free clinics during the WOR but you need to sign up for them in advance because they fill up quick.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Contact "Red" Ashton at Endless River Adventures in the Nantahala gorge. Red is an awesome open boater and loves the Maxim. He would be great if you aren't opposed to paying for instruction. You will get what you pay for. (Corollary = advice is worth what you pay for it)
liono
c

Post by liono »

Check out the Asheville Armada facebook group as well.
road_warrior64
C Boater

Post by road_warrior64 »

I feel your pain, bro. I bought a Prelude and every trip is like walking a tightrope. This beginner is thinking about trading it for something longer...and wider...and with outriggers.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

You should try a L'edge, option, or Blink...much more stable feeling than a prelude :) y
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

Endeavor to persevire