Canoe for the Grand Canyon

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

JimW
C Guru

Re: Canoe for the Grand Canyon

Post by JimW »

Hi, just came accross this thread looking for something else, as you do!

I rented the Moenkopi Whitesell for my trip last May, there is some discussion about my trip over on SOTP Forum.

The boat is obviously quite old but seemed pretty well spot on to me, it has even been fine tuned to deal with the afternoon head wind in the canyon :)

My swim count is in the thread, I think it was 9 paddling downriver (one of those on flat water) and one surfing a wave - I still have no OC1 roll!
Most rapids are easy because the essential move is at the top, in fact you often set up on the flat above to miss the problem feature, but as noted it is the chaos below that makes it hard work. There are a few trickier rapids depending on recent changes and levels - I couldn't visualize a line I had any confidence of making on Upset or Lava so portaged and lined them.

If you rent the Moenkopi boat I'd advise taking spare anchors and glue with you, a couple pulled off on me and there was sand in the glue suggesting poor quality field repairs in the past. I forgot to take glue and the rafters didn't have the right stuff so my repairs whilst properly cleaned up, might not last either.

Seriously, apart from needing some maintenance the boat is ideal - I was virtually an OC1 novice when we launched (owned an Ocoee for 5 years, paddled it once on grade 2 and spent some time trying to roll it, unsuccessfully), but found the Whitesell very easy to get used to and quite forgiving. Sometimes I wish I had one here instead of my Ocoee!

Jim
open boater
C Boater

Post by open boater »

you want to buy one? I have a mint condition Whitesell stored indoors in Richmond VA. Still has the Whitesell airbags
$1300.00
abbeysroadhome
c

Post by abbeysroadhome »

I paddled a Caption with 2 pumps & 2 spare batteries stashed in a support raft. I thought it was the perfect boat & swam only 2x between Lee's & Diamond. My roll sucks too, so it really wasn't an option. It was a late July trip, so the swims were pretty sweet since they were at the bottom of drops. The runouts will get you if you aren't paying attention. Don't gloat until you are on shore. Have fun, it was the most fun I have ever had for 16 straight days paddling a canoe. I have found it more fun to row & drink beer, though.

George
Einar
CBoats Addict

The Devil is in the details...

Post by Einar »

The Devil is in the details...

since it is a 16 day trip in a canoe in a mix of flats and big water:
How many used straight pedestal rigs with the weight on the knees and in thigh straps?
who used a traditional system seat with the weight on the butt?
or... hybrid versions?

I'm lucky, my knees can do 7 days straight in a pedestal system on MFS or Deso Canyon
but luck is fickle. How did 16 days work out on the Grand, whatever the boat?

And who hitched an occasional ride on a raft for a stretch out?
C-1's need not reply.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Last year I paddled the entire 280 miles in a C-1 Hahn. 8) I've C-1ed, C-2ed or OC-1ed the Grand over 20 times (mostly OC-1) and never, ever hitched a ride. I just paddle ahead of the rafts a ways then get out and walk up and down a beach to get circulation back into my feet until the rafts catch up. Tying all the rafts together and motoring out to Lake Mead doesn't count as hitching a ride.
I don't care to OC-1 the Grand any more because it's much harder to fight heavy headwinds in an OC-1 than in a raft. It's hard enough to paddle against the wind but the damned wind keeps turning the canoe sideways. :(
By the way, I'm a 75 year old geezer. :o
Einar
CBoats Addict

Geezer knees

Post by Einar »

It's good to have someone to look up to and your now it. At my 64 yrs I'm running out of mentors and role models.
Maybe I'll buy that Option after all.
e
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

so much for

C-1's need not reply.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I took a solo Vertige X and enjoyed it. I used Esquif's three point anchor system, but I probably stood up for thirty miles and I hitched a ride on a raft about the same. I didn't have a pump, but used rafts like the shore to empty occasionally. I had a bottle of Old Crow that sufficed as a bailer after the first couple of days...

I will take a SpanishFly next time. Raft support is the way to roll!
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
John Anderson
c

Post by John Anderson »

I rigged out a Wenonah Rendezvous. I knew I couldn't stay on my knees for very long, so I kept the factory seat, added knee pads, thigh straps, foot blocks, ankle blocks, a pump and filled it with float bags. I knelt when I had to and sat the rest of the time.

It was surprisingly dry, turned well enough for those rapids, was way faster than my normal OC-1 (nice for desperate ferry moves) and was comfortable. I even brought a bent shaft paddle for the long stretches.

I almost rolled it twice and bottom braced up once. It was great!
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

open boater wrote:you want to buy one? I have a mint condition Whitesell stored indoors in Richmond VA. Still has the Whitesell airbags
$1300.00
Is that delivered?
to Scotland...? :)
Einar wrote: How many used straight pedestal rigs with the weight on the knees and in thigh straps?
or... hybrid versions?
The Whitesell I rented has a straight pedestal and straps, but it is just about stable enough to sit on the rear thwart to stretch out on the flat (I only fell in once doing that). Alternatively I found about 4 or 5 different positions I could kneel in with the straps off, half on or completely on. Knees out of the straps and thighs against the forward thwart was a good high position for paddling into the wind on the flat, you can drive the boat through knees and thighs, remain stable and avoid cramp.

Occasional ride - I'll give you that one :D
After the swim on flat water I was invited onto a raft for the afternoon because the 2 worn out kayakers on it wanted someone else to talk to (it was a short afternoon anyway so I agreed). I also bailed out of the last day, knowing it didn't have any major rapids left and because the previous afternoon slog into the wind had pretty well drained all my energy. I did at least take some turns rowing the raft, man that's harder than it looks!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

How many used straight pedestal rigs with the weight on the knees and in thigh straps?
or... hybrid versions?
I'm familiar with seats and pedestals but what are the hydrid versions?
Brian
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Oh, the big boy.. I've only paddled it as a tandem but would figure it's a fun boat on the grand.
I've heard several people liked their Sparks down it, as well. Fast enough to escape some of the bigger stuff, somewhat round chines (in some places). Should be fun.

Good luck finding a boat!

Jan
Einar
CBoats Addict

Hybrid?

Post by Einar »

Hybrid?

An open question; ya never know what your going to hear back. :roll:
e
edicanoe
c

Post by edicanoe »

In 1998 I was on a 20 day supported trip. The open boats were a Probe 14, a Mad River ME, an Oncore and a Sunburst 2 along with several other kayaks and me in a Cascade C1. Of the open boats the Oncore performrf the best.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Oncore as in the Dagger Encore, from 1990 or so. 13 ft 2 inches
Brian