"Machine" outfitting?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

"Machine" outfitting?

Post by RobertM »

I was paddling with a friend this weekend, talking about outfitting. (I had fallen out of my Cascade after running a small ledge upside-down) He was an old school c-boat guy back in the day, and mentioned "machine rigging" in slalom boats. I thought the machine set-up was a bulkhead, much like what I've seen in Finkmeisters, combined with a knealing thwart, but he was describing something else.

I was wonderign if anybody had any pictures of a machine set-up, just out of curiousity.
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: "Machine" outfitting?

Post by Sir Adam »

there may be one in the outfitting images section (under Site). The best way to describe them is how many have been made - sit in boat, put plastic (or other barrier) over legs. Put a little foam (maybe) over your legs where the "strap" will go. Start laying up glass where said "strap" goes. Sit in boat until it is cured.

In the end you have "fixed" straps that perfectly fit your contours (at that time :wink: ). This works well with older deep slalom boats, newer boats (and lower saddles) mean if you are too aggressive about it (back toward your crotch) and have a low seat / backrest you may glass yourself in to your boat! (not ideal... even for the most dedicated!).

For another interesting variation Gwyn's "knee cups" (more like "leg sheaths") are very intriguing.
Keep the C!
Adam
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Machines are nothing more than rigid fixed straps - somewhat of a cross between a bulkhead and straps. I had a set of aluminum machines (covered with foam) in an old ultramax. The benefit is that if you get the fit right, you lose the flex that a fabric strap has, so the boat can be more responsive. the negative is if they don't fit exactly, you will fall out...

In my current slalom boat, I use a bulkhead and straps - I have tweaked the padding on the bulkhead to fit perfectly, so I get the benefit of the rigid attachment to the boat, and the straps help keep me in the bulkhead (and boat) - with modern slalom boats, the foam bulkheads do not add much weight, so a good compromise, and easy to shave down or add a layer of foam while getting adjusted.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

clt_capt wrote:Machines are nothing more than rigid fixed straps - somewhat of a cross between a bulkhead and straps. I had a set of aluminum machines (covered with foam) in an old ultramax. The benefit is that if you get the fit right, you lose the flex that a fabric strap has, so the boat can be more responsive. the negative is if they don't fit exactly, you will fall out...

In my current slalom boat, I use a bulkhead and straps - I have tweaked the padding on the bulkhead to fit perfectly, so I get the benefit of the rigid attachment to the boat, and the straps help keep me in the bulkhead (and boat) - with modern slalom boats, the foam bulkheads do not add much weight, so a good compromise, and easy to shave down or add a layer of foam while getting adjusted.
clt_capt has given you a very accurate description of "machines," along with their pros and cons. I will also second his recommendation of a bulkhead combined with straps as a good alternative for all the reasons that he noted. That is what I currently use in my slalom boat. Although I have also used only a bulkhead and only straps in other boats, the combination tends to be superior.

John