An Honest Salesman

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

awelch
Pain Boater

Re: An Honest Salesman

Post by awelch »

Classic. I haven't paddled in a while but I started in a Nitro and it took me a bit longer (as a large paddler) to feel confident. I think ultimately it was good for my skills but it did take a while and I do know all the good swim lines on the local runs around here.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

The bad attributes of the Prelude when considered for the masses was one of the biggest reasons the L'edge and every boat after has been well received by the general public. The Prelude can be a fun boat to paddle but it's not for everyone. It was the first rotomolded traditional looking whitewater canoe that was designed by Frankie Hubbard based on the Savage Skeeter... so it will always have a cool factor no matter.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I think the L'Edge is quite a pain in the *** as well, to paddle straight, to accelerate, and that's why I love it :D. In that perspective is a way more strict teachter then the Prelude. In the prelude you have a gray zone, in the quality of your strokes. In the L'Edge it's quite black or white.
Putting a beginner in a prelude can go 2 directions: either they learn to paddle, and that paddling brings stability, or they become low-brace-driftwood. The second one is what you see most.

I personally don't like any of those short boats as beginner boats. Then people tend to turn on the eddy lines, because the boat allows it, and not drive into the eddies, drive into the moves. With a bit longer boat, there is more of a need to actually drive into an eddy, otherwise you don't make it. Short boats are a great progression, but foundations are build in the longer boats. If I can, I even coach the real foundation in traditional, 15 foot canoes Simply because it's way harder to get feedback from these boats, so there is more insentive to do it right.