Thigh strap/hip pad locations

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

GSG
Pain Boater

Thigh strap/hip pad locations

Post by GSG »

Just built my first C1, a Remix 69. I placed the upper thigh strap anchors in what seemed to be the optimal location, approximately 1.5" behind my hip bone. The issue i'm running into is I've decided I need hip pads but the thigh strap anchor is right where I need my hip pads.

Is there a rule of thumb for placing that upper thigh strap mount? If I move the mount pretty much inline with my hip bone I should be able to get the hip pads far enough forward so when I lean into them I'm leaning on bone, not just the flesh of my a**, which I assume is favorable for control. Just not sure how much security I'm going to lose by moving them forward.

I'm using Airplane buckles rigged to release with the spray deck, ease of escape isn't a big issue.

Any advice on the subject is appreciated.
GSG
Pain Boater

Re: Thigh strap/hip pad locations

Post by GSG »

Pictures:

http://postimg.org/gallery/q8hti7w/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I use the seat bolt holes in the hull and fasten hip grabbers through both holes and the thigh straps under the hip grabber usually through the stern most seat bolt hole. I make hip grabbers from 1/4" ABS heat it up and bend them 90 degrees and glue some minicell foam to the inside.
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

The problem I saw with putting the hip pads over the straps is that the straps would be constantly putting shear tension on the hip pads and eventually they'd come loose.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

What cheajack said.

I used the existing seat bolt holes to anchor my thigh straps and hip pads. I added a second bolt to prevent the hip pads from swiveling.

Here are a couple photos. (Excuse the excess Weldwood. I didn't think anyone would ever be looking under there. :) )

Generally speaking, you want the thigh strap anchor to be somewhat behind your hip and somewhat below the top of your thigh. I think the rule of thumb is that the further back and lower down is more aggressive/secure but may be harder to slide out of (without releasing the straps).

I haven't had a problem with the hip pads conflicting with the straps.

Yours is a sweet looking conversion!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I will third what cheajack and busterblue have said. My C1 strap anchor position is identical to that pictured in busterblue's pictures. It's solid.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

what cheajack said, that's the cool guy way. There has been overlap in every c1 I've set up. It's no biggy. If the hip pad fits the rim good, the strap putting pressure on it is not an issue. But some rims are a funky shape and the plastic hip pad doesn't fit very well, so just modify the hip pad if you need to, to clear the strap or make it fit better. OR you may want to simply duct tape some foam to the rim, knowing full well that you'll have to deal with it again in the near future.. but seriously..if you aren't slim as a rail it works fine. Keep in mind the most load the hip pads ever see is from shouldering your boat.

ps-if you find it difficult get your feet out of that boat, you can taper that saddle from the width it is where you sit, down to 3" at the rear and it'll help a lot.
Larry
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I've always found hip pads to be the hardest part of the outfit. It's usually the last task, and you think it's gonna be easy, and it usually ain't.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

You did fine work outfitting, it looks great.

I too use the old seat bolt holes for thigh strap anchor as well as for hip pads.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Me too... thigh straps to the kayak bolts, underneath the hip pad, seems standard to double-use the existing holes.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vanc.yarnel ... Outfitting#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Ok, thanks guys. So the position of my anchors looks good? I ordered it bare hull so no holes to work from.

Gonna work on it tonight.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I put my lap-belt on the front set of kayak seat holes. Thigh-straps may be better in the back set of holes. Use fender washers that were shown earlier. Also use nuts w/ nylon inserts so they don't loosen over time.

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

I'm a little concerned about the pic of the Remix in the living room, on the coffee table.

I'd be afraid the rough finish on the coffee table might scratch the hull.
C'est l'aviron. . . !
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Living room? That's the boat workshop. Rest assured the hull came out unharmed... coffee table's a write off though.
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

me to in my 69
imagine