Should I store my SL'Edge with ash gunnels inside in winter?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

canoeman61
Pain Boater

Should I store my SL'Edge with ash gunnels inside in winter?

Post by canoeman61 »

It is a "SL'edge because it is an original model heavier than a sledgehammer. Winters are not too bad here but it can get down in the low teens or even single digits on occasion. I can make a cozy spot in the basement for it but wanted opinions from Yankee boaters as to if this is necessary.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Re: Should I store my SL'Edge with ash gunnels inside in win

Post by Mikey B »

You should be fine storing it outside as long as it's out of direct sunlight :)
The biggest worry is big temperature changes in short time spans...and more of an issue with royalex/wood...and more of an issue with longer boats.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Actually- the SL'Edge is the 'short L'Edge'. Here is Matt Thomas running Baby falls in it- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
SL'Edge
SL'Edge
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

that thing has the stability of a beach ball ... if that ... but i will admit ... it was fun to paddle down the Tellico
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I told Smerda that I might be interested in a "long" L'Edge. Definitely not interested in a shorter boat.

If it has ash gunwales, I would be inclined to store it indoors. Ash is a little above average with regard to wood rot, but even something tropical like mahogany is better off indoors.