L'edge L'offside recovery

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

avlclimber
C Guru

L'edge L'offside recovery

Post by avlclimber »

What are peoples experiences with the extreme secondary stability of the ledge and/ledge light? Coming from a prelude, I'm finding the ledge to be more stable (no big surprise!) However I am struggling with its secondary stability.

A friend who borrowed my boat found the same problem. He says once it passes a certain point (somewhere near gunwale at the water) the boat just wants to turn upside down and there's nothing you can do about it.

The prelude could come back from insane leans with the right manouver. An off-side low brace became an instinctive move. This seems to not work, in flat water or combat situations. ( the weight of th paddler pulls the boat over after not being able to right the boat-- it seems to get "stuck" on that offside edge, or there is a "wall" that is hard to push past.)

I'll try and post two helmet cam shots: the one where I did nothing, the boat hung up on its edge, then Recovered itself. The pic of crossover lowbrace slap was ineffective (2 times) and then I was over, and all tangled up.4

Solutions: 1) learn the boat's tipping point better,and just commit to a roll instead of fighting to stay upright, 2) do nothing and hope loose hips lets the boat right itself 3) some other secret stroke when the Ledge sits stuck on its offside.

? -Z
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Re: L'edge L'offside recovery

Post by the great gonzo »

My go-to recovery technique against off-side flips is the righting pry. Don't remember If I ever had to use it in a L'Edge, but it saved my lower back side a few times in just about any OC1 I ever paddled.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

i couldn't disagree more. I can easily balance the boat with either gunnel under water and recover without a paddle stroke and I have never had a boat in which a righting pry was so effective.

When it actually flips, it doesn't hang up on it's side... but that's a good thing.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

The obvious issue with the tipping point of any boat is the saddle height. Not every boater paddling a L'edge will be of the same build, height, nor weight so the same saddle height will not work for every paddler. Try lowering the saddle half-an-inch or more and see how that adjustment affects your balance.

The righting pry is effective to a point. It saves a boat from flipping all the way over before the boat goes past vertical on the way upside down. Now, if you have a squirt boat, the righting pry can result in many dynamic changes with the boat without going upside down:

Woodie at Weldon

8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

I've never heard of a righting pry. Please explain...
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

Thanks!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I did a quick search and the Righting Pry was in the course outline for a Paddle Canada course I taught back in 2004.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Z - I tend to agree with Ian, at least from my own experience. Granted, my L'Edge is modified, with the gunwales pulled in anywhere from 1/2" to 1". I can easily paddle the boat with either gunwale under water, controlling stability with lean and some bracing/stroking. I did notice that after pulling the gunwales in that the initial stability was less and there was more of a smooth transition from initial to secondary stability.

I do agree with you though, that with any boat, you have to know when it's just too far gone and commit to a tuck and roll. However, practicing for an unintended flip with your body all out-of-whack is a good thing also.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I can't for the life of me get these photos to post.
But, to clarify: this is, I think, *after* a righting pry would help.
My speculation is that I'm trying too hard, a result of paddling a prelude.
I think if I do less, the boat will right itself underneath me. I think it's going Cross bow to throw the brace is what is pulling me over.

That low brace, however, does work in a prelude. And will bring the boat back up from being nearly upside down. I can't get it to work even in flatwater, in the l'edge. The boat stalls on its side and flips on over.

Im happy to train myself a new instinct for when i get thrown to my offside ( since this isnt working), Wondering if anyone has a stroke or strategy that is working for them.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

avlclimber wrote:That low brace, however, does work in a prelude. And will bring the boat back up from being nearly upside down. I can't get it to work even in flatwater, in the l'edge. The boat stalls on its side and flips on over.
It does sound like the saddle height in your L'edge may be higher than it's balancing (tipping) point compared to your Prelude. You are able to cross-bow brace in the Prelude so the same technique should work in ANY boat you are in. Consider lowering your L'edge's saddle height half-an-inch then give it a try. It may need to go lower but you'll need to figure out how low is comfortable.

As far as the righting pry pics go, you may want to contact an admin/moderator about sending the image(s) to post here.
C-boats Moderator