Aint Louie Fest 2014

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jstroker

Aint Louie Fest 2014

Post by jstroker »

I live in Canada and am thinking of coming to the Ain't louie Fest 2014

Does any know the dates for 2014 of could provide contact info?

As I am thinking of flying down -could someone suggest a rental place for open canoes Mohawk Probe ect that come complete with air bags ect.

A friend of mine may join me

Plan A is we could just take our wetsuits, lifejackets, booties ect on the plane and rent a car and rent equipped boats.

Plan B would be to consider used boats purchase them and store them down there for next festival

Plan C is to purchase new boats local Mohawk factory perhaps a Maxim, or have Blackfly ship Option

Some opinions on the boats would also help as they are not sold in the part of Canada I come from

I am a larger paddler 230 lbs 6 feet tall

I currently have a Mohawk Probe 11 and Dagger Quake

I am thinking of about that is between 8 feet and 12 feet long.

Each boat has it own advantages.

What boats re being used locally by larger paddler on the drop lerge type rivers on the SE?

Has any larger paddler used a Blackfly ION? The manufacture thougth it might be to small for me

he suggested an OCTANE

Any comments on the Octane?

Thanking you,

Jay
Thanking you

Jay
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Aint Louie Fest 2014

Post by Wendy »

The Ion, Blackfly Octane 91 and 85 are good to go at your weight. I would not add extra gear to the Ion or 85. The L'edge is good for your weight and does our creeks or bigger water.
jstroker

Post by jstroker »

Thank you for info on boats

Have you attended the Aint Louie Fest?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Js If we still have demo boats we can work out a deal if you decide to buy a maxim I would not wait to long to put a deposit down on the last one we have.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Where in Canada?

The ALF should be March 10-14, the Ontario school mid-winter break.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jstroker

Post by jstroker »

Paddle Power wrote:Where in Canada?

The ALF should be March 10-14, the Ontario school mid-winter break.

I am out of Red Deer Alberta

About halfway between Calgary and Edmonton.

I have not found any paddlers that are going from my area thus am thinking of flying down
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

That would be a long drive, over 2000 miles.

Thanks to whoever moved this posting from the buy and sell section.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

You're welcome:) It should get the attention it deserves here.
Keep the C!
Adam
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Just a couple of thoughts

Probably something that you have already considered but I'll point out that most rental cars are not well equipped to haul open boats. You may be better off to make contact with people that are already driving down that may have room to haul you and your boats locally for the week in exchange for the money that you would have spent on a car rental and gas. A lot of boaters have extra room in their vehicles once they get camping gear out and set up for the week.

There are a LOT of used boats that are sold in the for sale section here that are exchanged months later at ALF so buying used boats should not be a problem.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Gord
Pain Boater

Post by Gord »

jstroker,

If you are on Facebook. Post on the GDI Facebook page. That will be ground zero for discussions about ALF in the months leading up to the event. There likely will be folks coming from the western provinces or the Minneapolis-St Paul area that you may be able to hook up with. If you fly down, posting on GDI should help you find a boat to use as well.

Hope to see you there

Gord
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I go to ALF each year. As Gord said the GDI page on FB is the best place to get boat loans, buy a used boat for ALF etc.
SinglebladeBlues
C Boater

Post by SinglebladeBlues »

Hey y'all,
Plan on making this year my first ALF, and had a couple questions.

1.For the most part, does everybody meet at one location in the morning? I remember seeing pic's of a Shoney's parking lot filled with boaters.

2.Last year I read some posts that somebody volunteered to show folks some of the class II-III runs in the area. Is that something that will probably happen again this year?

Thanks in advance.

See ya,

Rob
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I'm far from the most experienced ALFer here but here is the basic way of things:

This year starts Saturday March 8, 2014 with a fair few folks rolling into town and boating a day or two before and runs 10 days or so with folks dropping in and out through this period. The game plan daily is to meet at the Lenore City Shoney's where trips are put together based on what is running. There will be groups running everything from class II-V depending on water levels with lots of opportunities to jump in with folks running whatever class of water that you desire.

EXCEPTION: The first Sunday of ALF (March 9 this year) at high noon there is not a race, especially not a mass start canoe race, on the Upper Tellico (Tellico Ledges). Most ALFers are going to be someplace on the Tellico that day so Shoney's may be a bit light but hey, there is plenty of good boating on the Tellico.

Colin Moneypenny has a facebook event set up for ALF this year and he also has put together a contact list to help facilitate people finding each other. If you want to participate in this (assuming that Colin is taking on this project once again this year) you will need to give Colin your info.

https://www.facebook.com/events/565470966804821/
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
SinglebladeBlues
C Boater

Post by SinglebladeBlues »

Thanks Aaron. Not on Facebook, but my wife is. As things get closer, I can use her account to check things. Looking forward to hittin' a bunch of rivers I've never run before.

See ya,

Rob
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Jay,

I know at least one guy from Saskatoon that is planning on Alf 2014. He drove down last year, and I'm guessing that's his plan this year too. Not sure he watches this fourm so I will pass him your contact info if you like. PM me with an email if interested.

Dave