recycled boats?!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

recycled boats?!

Post by truckeeboater »

On a recent trip to the local dump/ recycle center, I noticed a small pile of not-so-old sit on top kayaks that all had small cracks or holes in them that apparently rendered them completely useless to their previous owners. In light of the canoe industry's current material crisis, I'm wondering if it's possible to take old, broken, or otherwise unused plastic boats (whether they're canoes or kayaks) and utilize the plastic to make new boats. Any ideas from folks with experience working with PE?
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Re: recycled boats?!

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Have we boated together on the Truckee?? I should know this, but not sure.
SYOTR,
Bruce Farrenkopf
P.S. The Farad Run is going right now due to repairs on the flume below Headhunter Dam.
P.P.S. No intention to hijack this topic.
driftwood
C Guru

Post by driftwood »

Liquid logic used to except boats to recycle and they may still. Some recycling centers will take them (I had to cut mine into small pieces {and yes with 15 welds it was to brittle to keep paddling}) and as far as I am concerned recycled PE is recycled PE, doesn't really mater if boats are made into new boats or something else.

JW
Will dance for rain
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Havnt you seen the Frankenboat?
Proud Yankee
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

I HAVE seen the Frankenboat :D ! Unfortunately, only in pictures though. However, I think my question may have been a little too vague. I'm wondering if companies like Blackfly, Mohawk, Esquif, etc. would bother putting in the time to develop a way to re-use old plastic to make new boats? Is it even worth it? Would the new boat be as strong as the original one was?
Peace Pow and Paddling!
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Some of the plastics can be easily recycled - some cannot. Even for the relatively easy recycled plastics, the equipment needs - large scale grinders, compactors and massive heat would be cost prohibitive to most canoe manufacturers. Also the equipment required to separate coloring agents make it difficult and even more expensive.

Probably better off returning them to a company specializing in plastic recycling - at least they could have a useful second life as a chair, table or floor mat instead of filling a landfill...
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

For your question as long as it is clean PE, no foam glued in and no glue residue there should be no problem. is it worth it yes if for no other reason than keeping it out of the land fields.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

We had a huge pile of off cuts from the freshly made kayaks at Clearwater / Massive. They went back to the supplier on a regular basis to be recycled and we'd accept old boats to be thrown in the pile. It's not a problem as long as customers are willing to get them back to source. They come back as the black plastic that is usually used to make your seats and other bits.