shoe goo...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Daddy-O
Pain Boater

shoe goo...

Post by Daddy-O »

anyone care to point out why i should not be using "original shoe-goo" for repairs and gasket replacement? it seems to be working VERY well, with no appreciable qualitative difference to say aquaseal at about 10-20% cost! sure i might be testifying to my inexperience here, but seems like a no brainer to me. active ingredient is toulene, might even be the same. what am i missing here?
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: shoe goo...

Post by KNeal »

I'll start this off by saying that my experience with the original shoe goo is that it looses its adhesive bond pretty quickly and, for a rubber-based compound (at least I think it is), it will be stiffer than the rubber gaskets. I hope your experience with it goes well. Not a lot of fun to pick the stuff off and have to start over. Since both products are available on the market (shoe goo and aquaseal), why not stick with aquaseal?
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

i have notices it to be a bit stiffer, so far the "loss of grip" has not made its appearance. the reason i'm experimenting on my drytop with this flavor of goop is two fold.
1. i would love to find an alternative to aquaseal which is VERY expensive, i realize in many situations you truly do pay for what you get. it seems equally plausible that there might be a very comprable product marketed for a different purpose at a fraction of cost
2. said experiments are taking place on a bombergear drytop GIVEN to me with gaskets date stamped 2001, and some old punchy flotation/valves/stems.

the shoe goo is a "bit" stiffer, but even with an application of what i will call 1/8" it remains pliable enough to easily double over on itself. i do appreciate your thoughts on this kneal and will check back in after the cold season with some more substantiated observations. R and D folks, if we dont try the answer is always i don't know!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Original "Original" Shoe Goo hardened markedly over time when I used it.

But they may have improved it.
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

not liking the sound of this too much. warn me once, grain of salt. warned twice, perk up. heres to hoping the formula is improved...
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have used it before to replace a gasket when the only tube of Aquaseal I had at the time had hardened through. It worked well. The bond outlasted the gasket itself. The higher stiffness of shoe goo is less of an issue in the gasket replacement scenario, as the base fabric of any drygear does not stretch significantly anyway.
But my go-to ADHESIVE! for gasket replacements is still Aquaseal.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Two ideas.

1. contact drysuit repair place and ask them about glue. What they use, if they sell it.

2. contact aquaseal and ask about a larger volume container / tube that might be cheaper per oz (or ml)

I'm a fan of aquaseal because it continues to work well for me.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

While we're talking about Aquaseal, make sure that you store an opened tube in the freezer. If not, you'll might only get to use it twice. Once when you first open it and once when you have to cut the tube in half in order to get to the glue that hasn't hardened yet.
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

i love the smell of toulene in the morning.... :o