New boat ready for glass

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

valhallalongboats
C Guru

Re: New boat ready for glass

Post by valhallalongboats »

Well, I did my test strips with the lacquer and then glassed it. What a joke. It doesn't matter how much you 'rough-up' lacquer, resin doesn't stick to it. I've had a harder time removing stickers than I had getting this glass off the test strips. I re-read the book again, and they were very clear to pre-treat the boat with lacquer....confusing as hades. In any case, the last 3 days have been spent sanding 4 coats of lacquer off of my boat so I can glass it. This is irritating for two reasons. 1. I was already here before I put the lacquer on. 2. I was already here before I PUT THE LACQUER ON! This stuff is not easy to sand off. Oh well, we live and learn. Thanks for all the input guys, especially to Mr. Kaz, who suggested the glass wouldn't stick...turns out, a guy who makes glass boats knows a thing or two about glass boats! At least I didn't glass the whole boat and THEN discover this problem.
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

dude!
I've been busy working on a non-fiction novel about my many years spent as a whitewater canoe guide.
when do you sleep? :o http://youtu.be/lhkzgjOKeLs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
valhallalongboats
C Guru

I sleep here and there. What's irritating is that I'm missing out on my fall paddling trying to get this monstrosity completed...and its beginning to chew the threads out of my wallet...still, we'll get there. I'll catch up on my sleep in January.

Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
Old_Guy
c

Post by Old_Guy »

Rob,

Don't over sleep to long. Were planning on paddling with you and Neil in 2014.

Jeff & Conrad P.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Non-fiction novel?

Now that's a good example of smashing stereotypes. Perhaps it's a little like writing a history of the next century. Or a fact-based book supporting Tea Party theories.
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

milkman wrote:Non-fiction novel?

Now that's a good example of smashing stereotypes. Perhaps it's a little like writing a history of the next century. Or a fact-based book supporting Tea Party theories.
I wondered about the "non-fiction novel", too, but figured poor Rob had enough on his plate atm. Sounds like more of an autobiography (or perhaps a boatobiography? :D ) Sign me up for a copy when you publish, Rob
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

milkman wrote:Non-fiction novel?

Seems rather innocuous .
dance for rain
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Thank you for busting my b*%@s about the 'non-fiction novel'. I appreciate it. I have a fictional novel published, and I'm working on some sequels along with the rest of my stuff, so I tend to call all of my works 'novels' if they are or will be over 75k words. I realize this is not the correct term, but thanks again for the reminder. :roll: Its just a collection of various short stories accumulated during my past and ongoing time as a guide. I'm not bothering to make it chronological or anything. A full autobiography of my life would be a serious snooze-fest. All the stories are 'true'...for a given value of the word. The title of the book is 'good times and creative truths'...and anyone who has guided should be able to figure out why I would choose such a title. If anyone still wants to talk about the boat, I'm going to try and put the glass on tomorrow. I finally got all the lacquer off.

-Rob
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Oh, and as for Jeff and Conrad...can't wait to see you guys! Keep the shiny-side down!

-Rob
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Thank you for busting my b*%@s about the 'non-fiction novel'.
Wasn't meaning to bust any major organs, just doing some good-natured kidding. I'm interested in following both your progress on the boat and the novel, so keep posting.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

milkman wrote:
Thank you for busting my b*%@s about the 'non-fiction novel'.
Wasn't meaning to bust any major organs, just doing some good-natured kidding. I'm interested in following both your progress on the boat and the novel, so keep posting.

Apologies for being abrasive. Thank you for your interest in my project boat and stories, I will, of course, keep posting. I will also continue to remind myself that most everyone in this forum is quite friendly, (as opposed to some of the other places I do online research) and act more accordingly.

-Rob
Old_Guy
c

Post by Old_Guy »

Rob,

There's a rumor that reached the S.F. Bay Area, that your boat was completed. Well...... where's a pic? :lol:

Jeff
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Well, the boat wasn't 'completed'...it was finished enough for me to test it out. I am pretty pleased with it. Now its being sanded down-re-glassed, sanded, sanded, sanded...I'm trying to get it ready to pop a mold off of it. I also had to make a 100 mile move, I'm helping some family members also move, I'm getting the canoe fleet ready for guiding this summer (practically booked solid from June 10 to the end of August) and I'm working a part-time job as well building custom furniture. Hopefully I will have some finished full-glass versions soon.

-Rob
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

You are definitely into the "fun" stage now... One hint - If you are done paddling the plug, you don't need to use glass and resin to fair the surface for molding. Depending how wavy the surface is, resin mixed with aerosil sands a whole lot easier than glass for bug dimples. If you don't have large wavy areas requiring filling, you can use high build auto primer - or if you have the equipment, Duracoat high-build primer.

I will usually start with grey primer and sand this coat, when I get close to fair, I switch to black primer and sand again. when the grey starts showing through I know I need to spray some more black and resand...

The primer will polish up nicely when you get to wet sanding, and will hold wax well when you are ready to mold.

If you are planning to use black gelcoat for the first layer of your mold you can switch to brown and grey primer - makes it easier to see where your mold gelcoat is a bit thin.