Second thoughts on a Blast

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wodza
C Guru

Second thoughts on a Blast

Post by Wodza »

So I tracked down a Blast and was ready to spend a day driving to get it when I decided to check the c-board for more info. I came across many people stating that 350lbs is pretty well the weight limit for a Blast. I am around 200lbs and would be paddling mostly with friends at the lightest 170lbs. I would really like something I am not going to get bored of but also something thats going to handle up to 400lbs relatively well. I can pretty easily get my hands on a Vertige X. All other boats seem to be a bit harder/more expensive to track down. So I am looking on opinions of a Vertige X. I can Also get a Caption easily but will cost me about $700 more. I do have all winter to track something down so not really in a rush. Just looking for opinions on weight limits or any insight you can have.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Second thoughts on a Blast

Post by Sir Adam »

I have no idea of it is on your list or not, but I heard of a Probe 14 with a triple saddle setup for sale in upstate NY recently. I can dig out the contact info (phone number) if you are interested.
Keep the C!
Adam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Concerning the Probe 14, there is one for sale up here in Canada right now, Cheeks is staying here with us at Esprit in Davidson, Quebec and he has a Probe 14 that he is considering selling. Send him a PM if you are interested.

I have never paddled the Probe 14, so I cannot comment on it, however concerning the Vertige X vs. Caption vs. Blast however, I think for the weight range of paddlers you are looking at the Caption is the best boat overall. While not as sporty as a Blast it handles the weight much better, all the while being a fair bit sportier than the VertigeX IMHO.

Cheers!

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Thanks for the replies! I am very interested in the Probe 14. Especially with a triple saddle. Davidson QC isn't too far. Where in upstate new york is the other Probe located? I would probably go with the one that is closest. I didn't think Id be able to find a used Probe up here.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Looks like you've got two choices! Davidson, Quebec (see TGG's post) for Cheek's boat (definitely worth checking out), and the one in NY - I've e-mailed to see if it still available and what the price is. The paddling club that sent it out is around Albany, NY, so I'd assume Catskills northward (where they draw from, up to the high peaks or so). I'll PM you with what I hear back.
Keep the C!
Adam
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

You should really check out the Probe 14 it is a great boat solo or tandem
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Yeah it looks like the Probe 14 is the boat for me. Looks a tad more aggressive than the Caption and Vertige X. Maybe not as aggressive as the Blast but should handle the weight range I need with that extra foot of length.

Thanks everyone for your help.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Not to dampen things here but you really need to try the Probe 14 before you buy it.

I have paddled one once with my wife and tandem we were at the time 400lbs combined. With the lighter partner in the bow we found it MUCH wetter than a VertageX and slow. Personally I would take a VertageX any day over a Probe 14.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

arhdc wrote:. . . Personally I would take a Vertige-X any day over a Probe 14.
Speaking of Probes, I'm reminded of a great quote from Paul St. Pierre's excellent book, Smith and Other Events:

Smith is trying to sell a horse to Narcisse. Smith says, "There is that young stud I got. He is just like his father. I don't want two studs. I might as well sell one of them."

Narcisse replies, "S'pose I had two studs like that. I would sell two of them."

Rick :wink:
C'est l'aviron. . . !
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I can't compare the Probe to the Vertige, as I've only paddled the former. I took full advantage of the triple saddle a couple of years ago for a (rather silly) race that both of my older children wanted to partake in. Our first time in the boat was the starting line and with 3 of us in the boat, the middle paddler became a passenger (er, spare paddle holder?) - we were a bit over 400#, probably closer to 500 and worked well enough. It would probably have been a lot of fun at 400# and with only 2 in the boat.
Einar
CBoats Addict

3rd hat in the ring

Post by Einar »

Own a Caption, have paddled a Blast, and tried a Bell Nexus this weekend on pin ball 3+.

The Nexus impressed me, carved well, good secondary, average dry. Worth looking at.

Two paddlers @ 200lbs each.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

I like the Vertige X. It is stable, dry and responsive enough to take down the Upper Gauley or most Southeastern Creeks. The Blast is certainly more high performance, but the Vertige X surfs well and boofs great. I realize Ashevile is a long distance from you, but mine is available for paddlers to demo if you make it down here.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Got a beat up Caption. A winter project to outfit tandem/solo with removable saddles. Thanks for all the input.