Kids OC1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jay Fred

Kids OC1

Post by Jay Fred »

I was thinking about getting my 9 year old daughter a Blackfly Octane 85. She is 4 foot and about 75 pounds. I am a Kayaker looking into converting to an OC1. This is a left handed gift because I fully intend to paddle this boat. I'm 5"9' and 190. Everything that I have read about this boat seems to make sense for the both of us.
Fleetwalker
C Boater

Re: Kids OC1

Post by Fleetwalker »

I'm in the exact same position (my daughter is 8). If you go this route please post a follow-up. I'm holding out for the beta on the Millbrook Stinkeye, since it should be considerably lighter. I'm also considering the MB Rival & Rayge. Those are longer, but it seems like the lightweight would make them viable choices and maybe better for the type of paddling we do (more river running then playing).
Jay Fred

Post by Jay Fred »

I will... I am nervious to put her in a Jackson sidekick becuase if she has one bad experience I think that she will give it up. My friend has a fun and she had paddled it a bunch in flat water and loves flipping over with out the skirt. My wife wants to paddle but she doesn't want to be strapped in so that is the flip side to it as well. And I have something new to paddle, too.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

No boat/outfitting system is going to work well for 2 people so dissimilar.

If you re buying your daughter a boat, then buy HER a boat.
Fleetwalker
C Boater

Post by Fleetwalker »

In terms of outfitting, I agree with you to a point. However, we use a removable saddle system in our tandem. Knee cups are secured with velcro (trust me, remove them before you put the boat on the roof of the car), and I've glued down Northwater daisy chains so we can clip the straps in where needed. It's easy to adjust for different sizes and configurations. Frankly, my daughter finds it easy to sit right now, so currently she is sitting on a normal height saddle. The system works really well for our purposes.

I think many paddlers would have a hard time buying a dedicated open canoe for kid. The only whitewater OC that I'm aware of that is designed specifically with kids in mind is the Composite Creations Splash, which is really difficult to find used, and like most (all?) hulls, it's $1300+ new. And while the Splash is admittedly pretty narrow, at 7'11" it's not notably shorter than the Stinkeye, Octane, L'edge, and other similiar canoes. Those boats all support a wide-range of body types.

Anyway, I don't think it is unrealistic to look for a boat that we could (with some tinkering with the outfitting) both paddle and enjoy. Especially since she is going to keep getting taller and heavier, and with any luck I am not.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I m surprised. I ve tried sharing boats with my partner who's 5' nothing (I m 6'2). Either the seats to high and, with the steep thigh angle, the thigh straps aren't secure enough to hold her in or, if we cut the saddle, the gunnels are too high and get in the way of her paddling. Small people need small equipment. If it was me, I d look for a short royalex boat for a good price and cut the depth.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

when i first started paddling i was 13 years old using my dad's dagger ocoee ...

dad - 6' 6'' and 160#
me (at the time) - 5' nothing and probably 85# soaking wet

we outfitted his ocoee with knee boots and a removable saddle it was held in by Velcro and it held tight enough that my dad could still roll the boat

when he paddled it the saddle was put in the location he wanted to paddle in ...and when i paddled the boat i would jerk on the saddle pull it up and move it to where i needed it to work for me ... it worked well enough till i was about 18 and bought my own boat (the skeeter) ...and now i paddle an Option which when it comes to stability wow ...

as far as the Splash .. from what i read it is a great kids boat ... but there is boats like the Ion which can float a full sized adult as well ...and now the Octane 85 ..... but a kids boat would be great for runs like class 2 fun days on the water with the family ...

the biggest problem is the price though ... people cant seem to find the mind set to fork out for a new boat that will be to small for the paddler in a few months/ years depending on growth
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

I posted the similar questions earlier this year about what OC1 to get my 10 year old. Many people suggested the Esquif Taureau...we picked one up (thanks again Rick) and it has been perfect for him. (The Blackfly might be of similar fit) We have made many trips this summer together and he is rocking and rolling it. The Taureau has been the perfect size for him to paddle without getting worn out (except on long flatwater stretches), he has guided it through the rapids with grace and he is light enough to glide right over the waves with confidence...and confidence is what you want when they are just starting out.

I really suggest two boats...they need somebody to model on the river, and if you are in the Kayak while she is in any oc1 she is not going to be able to keep up, and no matter how hard you try she will know her boat is way slower compared to the kayak and will get FRUSTRATED quickly...

Neill