my high tech bicycle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hazardharry
CBoats Addict

my high tech bicycle

Post by hazardharry »

back in the day 1981 i had one of the first mt.bike you could buy at a bike shop. what a pos as i look back. grummans where the tough boat too. i would break every part of that bike. well to make a long story short i went to work at a small frame shop that grew to many employees. we where building from steel,light it was but not the best. part of our humble company split off in 1990 to start their own frames using titanium! hmm royalex boats where the tough then too. after think and a quick google search this is something to think about.i would go for a titanium and carbon fiber layup. grumman made canoe to an air craft type spec. plane are made of Ti now. and just look at all the different types of Ti bicycles now. pass me another PBR :wink:
Attachments
ti_sheet_prod.png
ti_sheet_prod.png (37.07 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Re: my high tech bicycle

Post by hazardharry »

my titanium herbs pipe looks like the day i welded it up 30 years ago. if you like that chrome look titanium once polished it never tarnishes even in salt water.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

They didn't take me seriously:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7967106&hilit=grumman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there are amazing advances in materials science these days, and I could imagine a metal-hybrid material holding some real promise at being light, stiff, and resilient.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

hazardharry

still in the bike business?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

NOPE! when fat city cycles up and left i felt a little put out. but now i'm thinking of doing a welded tittanium canoe. it will be the most expensive canoe ever. :x first i need to get some sheet and try roller forming it? Ti is about the toughest thing to try to reform on the planet. thats why it would be an awesome material for us to exploit. as for sticking to rocks i doubt that will be any more than royalex if not slicker. polishing the surface makes Ti even stronger. i need to find an air force junk yard? :roll: by the way my pot pipe is made from scraps of Ti. found in the dumpster at the GE river works plant in lynn, mass. they make helicopter tubines there. then there sthis guy he could be our savior.file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/My%20Documents/Downloads/An%20All-Titanium%20Yacht%20-%20Professional%20BoatBuilder%20Magazine_files/superfish.js
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

fat city.. is that the same as fat chance? you probably know these guys- I used to ride and race and play with Ron A a bit when he was out in cali hanging out '86-'87..and I STILL have to listen to Gary H's bs on a somewhat regular basis.
that was a long time ago. I loved the paint artwork that ..(lenny?) was doing there..
Larry
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

ron was a roomate and gary was the landlord. we ate worked played together for years. i still have a nice fleet ot fats.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

you can't say i ain't tryin'. i sent an e-mail to marathon/grummanboats with the idea about Ti. they must have laughed until lunch time. :lol: in the reply they say grumman does make a whitewater canoe. :-? http://youtu.be/JX4tw5RxP4g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; i think some of this with enough G-flex and i got a boat!
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Why expensive.. a 0.60mm titanium sheet 405 x 1000 mm costs around 50 EUR.. so you should get away with around 400 EUR Material cost for a small creek boat type.

Weight of one sheet is 1,10 kg so your finished hull would have around 8 kg to it. add 4 kg of gunwale (or build integral gunwales, made of titanium.. haha) and you'll have a dam lite boat ;D

That of course is the train of thought for a boat that is around as big as the Ion..

The question would be, can you design a shape that's worthy of production just from bent, flat sheets or would you have to press/hammer it round.. I'd think making a tinanion would not even be that hard, except for the double rails maybe. ;D

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

BUT - what happens if you DO get a dent in it? Can you work that out again? o.6 isn't that thick..

;D