C-1 "listing" or leaning to onside(?)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

C-1 "listing" or leaning to onside(?)

Post by hammerhead »

All my boats(2 kayak to C-1 and 2 C-1 specific) have had a slight list to my onside. I don't notice it on river runs or slalom courses, but on a wave or doing attainments it does come into play. The onside lean is very slight and I can compensate by adjusting straps and/or shimming. I was wondering if this listing is "natural"? My body it neutral fore and aft and side to side, but there is still a slight lean(?) I notice it most on a wave w/ my Atom. Thoughts anyone?

ps. I've been paddling a lot, so I may just have water on the brain.
ezwater
C Maven

Re: C-1 "listing" or leaning to onside(?)

Post by ezwater »

Just your paddle and your arms may be enough to bias to your paddle side. But I haven't noticed it with my c-1s. I would think many paddle with a tiny lean toward the paddle side, if they aren't paying attention.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

On a few of my C-1s I actually have the seat shifted about a half inch towards my paddle side. On my other boats I tend to sit just a little to the side. That way I'm more likely to tip to my on-side where I have a strong brace rather then flipping to my off-side where I would have to roll. That may not be the proper way to paddle but it works for me.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I certainly tend to favor my onside in the Atom. Sometimes it gets me in trouble though. I have to make a conscious effort to flatten out or lean the other way when required. Otherwise the onside edge will dip too low and I'll have to do some sudden bracing.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

It is natural to have an onside lean. I do, but I also paddle what is called the inside curve. It is an efficient way to paddle the river. I also cross over and paddle with the lean the opposite way on my offside stroke. On a lake you can practice flattening out your lean and with minor tweaks of your paddle angle go a ways straight ahead.

The lean when you are surfing a wave is usually a function of which side of the wave you enter it, either from your on side or off. I find that entering a surf wave from my off side helps me establish a flatter entry and a more stable surf without jet ferrying off.

I have also had help flattening my lean from my C2 partners who will comment right away when I lean.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

Regardless of how I set my boat up, I always intentionally paddle with a lean towards whatever side my blade is. If I'm on a forward stroke, (I'm a lefty) I'm leaning a bit towards the left side, If I'm on a cross-bow forward, I'm leaning to the right side. The lean will reduce the amount of correction required, which means attainments and hard ferries will generally become a bit easier. If its working for you, I wouldn't worry about it.

-Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

For wilderness self-supported whitewater trips I often slightly trim my canoe onside heavy (not offside heavy).
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Thanks to All for the input/affirmation...
jharris
C Boater

Post by jharris »

I always lean to my onside, it keeps my paddle blade more deeply in the water for more of the stroke and it leans me towards an onside brace... rather than a situation where I tip towards my offside where I'm unlikely to make a save
Purple Dagger Ocoee, yellow ZG 48
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

my boats tend to spin-out a bit if i give a strong forward stroke and do not engage the chine somewhat, in agreement with above comments. also noticed the comment about paddle and muscular differential. i will often train in class II+ paddling offside only, switching to onside for move that start to make me a bit nervous. my wife is a body therapist and regularly reminds me of the importance of not developing radical imbalances. not trying to be preachy here but i beleive she is speaking wisdom.
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

just to be very clear, im not advocating a position switch on runs, creeks, rapids that demand your fullness of ability. but for regular training sessions dedicated entirely to balancing out the development and overall toning of whole body. ezwaters comment, upon closer review, might have been coming from the perspective of the paddle weight and the distribution of your weight while paddling. additionally your onside might in reality weigh more than your offside, especially if you paddle a lot. thoughts on this?
hammerhead
C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Jim - From what I've seen "It seems to be working quite fine indeed"

Rand - Would like to hear/read more about the "inside curve". The flatter entry you spoke of should help me because I am trying to eliminate that "jet ferrying" off a wave. It can be fun, but when I'm not trying to leave the wave it can frustrating.

Buster - The Atom can be "edgy" and keeps you honest. I have a love/hate relationship w/ mine.