Tamihi Five-0 Slalom Race, Vanc, BC, Sept 14-15

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Tamihi Five-0 Slalom Race, Vanc, BC, Sept 14-15

Post by yarnellboat »

Modelled after the Gull Race in Ontario that Rapid magazine kept writing about, we started our own open canoe slalom race here on the West Coast.

It's a low-key, 30-person affair, and though it seems like a long-shot that any random c-boatsters would show up - we've had Internet friends from far away visit on several occasions! So, if you're in the neighbourhood around Sept 14-15th, come check out the gates on the Chilliwack River! We'll find you a boat and/or a partner.

Anyone of you WA, OR, AB folks thinking about it?

Yukon, it's an easy 2.5 hr flight from Whitehorse! (Come meet us all, you could write it off as business development!)

http://vimeo.com/47469873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6edO6UmokG4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers, Pat.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Re: Tamihi Five-0 Slalom Race, Vanc, BC, Sept 14-15

Post by Einar »

Yukon
You could even paddle a Spanish Fly when you are here ;>)
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

And buy an OT Cascade!

P.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I wish I could make it to the Tamahi 50 but not lookin like its in the cards this year. It is wood cutting and moose hunting season here in the North, Winter is coming- had ice in my coffee pot on the river the last 2 days.

I am hoping to get to the ACA Swiftwater Rescue Conference end of Oct but not sure i can find the funds for it. My son is now eating up the Paddling Travel budget...
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

What are the odd's of your group putting in a bid for OC Slalom Nationals in a few years?

Seriously...

There's a FB group for WWOC Slalom... if you or any of your posse are on FB please join!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/212279165486036/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

It's an idea that somebody would have to champion with the local race club, the Chilliwack Centre of Excellence. We've talked about it, so there's at least of awareness interest among our group, and one of my co-organizers, Heather, even went to a nationals in the recent past, so has an idea what it's about.

However, as a guy with 2 pre-schoolers who rarely even paddles anymore (I've literally spent more time sending e-mail about our authorization to use the river access for the T50, and getting some sponsors, and updating trophies, than I have paddling this summer :-? ), my capacity to champion anything is more than tapped out, so I personally am not in.

But I don't think it's a bad idea if there are the bodies to make it happen - I'd love to see that happen! - I just can't be one of those bodies to organize it, sorry.

Pat.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

FYI, Here's a view of our little course from the stern of what was our fastest tandem this year (an H2Pro paddled by a rusty rec canoeist and a kayaker, and they just met that morning, no practice - not seasoned at the gates or even paddling much, but somehow they clicked enough to do have an impressive run, by T50 standards anyway)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUMnH5_2Drg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
Einar
CBoats Addict

T-50 rogue paddlers

Post by Einar »

A couple of deluded optimists in an Octane on the T-50 slalom.

"What has hull length got to do with it"
Attachments
DSC_0367.jpg
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: T-50 rogue paddlers

Post by Shep »

Einar wrote:A couple of deluded optimists in an Octane on the T-50 slalom.

"What has hull length got to do with it"
Love it! At the NOC nationals, we accidently managed to make a vaild tandem class of only Octane 92's. That was my only medal, so please don't call them deluded!!!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Hey, How did I not try the Octane? I really shoulda tried it out, I'm more curious about that than the R2 raft attempt I made!

The Octane couldn't feel any worse than 500 lbs of paddler we plunked into my Vertige X - first time I've paddled bow in a long time! Too bad there wasn't a class for 500 lbs and over!

Next time take me for a ride Roscoe!

Pat.