Probe 12i/13 vs Outrage x

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

openboat
c

Probe 12i/13 vs Outrage x

Post by openboat »

I have been looking to buy my first true whitewater oc-1 for a few months now. After a lot of reading and looking i have narrowed it down to these two options. I am 6' 250 lbs so im going to need a bigger boat. I have also found one each of these used, close to me, in good shape, and reasonably priced. Any feedback will be appreciated.
TommyC1
C Guru

Re: Probe 12i/13 vs Outrage x

Post by TommyC1 »

Either would be a good first solo whitewater canoe.
Given the choice I'd go with the Outrage because it's equally maneuverable and quicker.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Both are good and you will find passionate advocates of both. I think it comes down to whether you like boats with a little bit of edge or not. The Outrage is smooth and rounded with no edge at all. The Probe does not have nearly as sharp a chine as the Viper, but it has a bit of edge.

I prefer edgier hulls, so if it were my choice, I would pick the Probe.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

There is a probe 12 and outrage in the group of guys i paddle with. FWIW the outrage is far preferred by everyone of us, even the owner of the probe 12.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I would prefer the Probe as I like the edge better.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScenicPaddler
c

Post by ScenicPaddler »

DougB wrote:There is a probe 12 and outrage in the group of guys i paddle with. FWIW the outrage is far preferred by everyone of us, even the owner of the probe 12.
Is that the "regular Outrage" or the "Outrage X" that you're talking about.. because I believe the initial question was a comparison between the probe 12 and Outrage X. Let's not get things mixed up.

Outrage and Outrage X are different hulls, and according to some quite different handling hulls. I paddle a "regular" Outrage but never had the pleasure to paddle the Outrage X so can't compare these two.

Some claim that the Bell prodigy X is a more interesing hull compared to the Outrage X... so perhaps the Prodigy X might as well be something to consider (if you can find a used one as Bell is no longer in business).
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

If you weigh 250, get the Outrage/ Outrage X. Its faster, more fun, and drier. I've spent some time in various probes, and generally regretted it. The Outrage and Outrage X are entry-level/user-friendly boats, very easy to learn to paddle. And yet, each of them has also been paddled to numerous medals at the Open Canoe Slalom National Championships. How many gold medals does the Probe have? ... :oops:... yeah, that's what I thought.

-Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.