Self made canoe.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

past_pawn
c

Self made canoe.

Post by past_pawn »

Built my first canoe, just finished it. Her name is "Pegado" which is spanish for "glued". I used several bottles of Tite-bond III wood glue as its tongue and groove white cedar strips. Couldn't get the thinner ones I wanted but found 3 1/2" ones at Lowes Hardware. Its a flat bottom, 14 foot from bow to stern and 36" wide. Made her for lake fishing and wanted stability. Stained the keel bottom side a dark mahogany and used the same stain thinned down to stain the sides to resemble red aromatic cedar. Last, I used fiberglass and epoxy to coat the bottom and sides. Wish I had put more on the sides but it seemed more important for the floor as my son and I are heavy people. Again first boat/canoe built. Feel free to critique it good or bad. My design. :D

Wayne from Colorado

How do I post an Image or two??? Clicked on it and doesn't work like other attachments. image setting is "on"

Seems the max download size is 256KB --- :roll: way too small for todays cameras.http://www.flickr.com/photos/100926586@N06/
Last edited by past_pawn on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Self made canoe.

Post by Sir Adam »

Resize via photo editing software - most computers come with a watered down version of some photosuite, or use Picasa, or iPhoto if you're on a Mac.

I'm looking forward to seeing an image or two.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

You can also post pics on a web hosting site and then link to the URL :) It's easier sometimes
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Wayne, you might consider the Old Sparkey forum. Lots of home-built craft on there.

http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

posting a photo through another image host like photobucket, imageshack, and others

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7963235
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
past_pawn
c

Post by past_pawn »

I did it thru Flickr. The link is above in the first msg. and here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/100926586@N06/
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Boat images are here. Pretty sweet! Did you tack the strips to those upright stays/ribs? And the center seat, does the top come off so you have a storage locker onboard? Thanks for sharing your work:

C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Wayne- Awesome job dude! I've wanted to make my own canoe since I was a kid.-M-
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

Very nice! I know it's hard to reinforce with fiberglass but still have enough wood grain coming through, and it looks like yours is spot-on! Beauty!
past_pawn
c

Post by past_pawn »

Yes the strips are tongue and grooved glued together as well as glued to the ribs. The two seats have screwed down removal tops and are presently filled will water tight plastic half gallon jugs. Just don't totally trust my work :D . Plus if she is swamped she'll still float low. The front however has a door and safety articles are placed their.

Me and fiberglassing had a learning curve. I did the keel side first. The actual keel was already laid before I started glassing, one because I was moving the canoe alot to bend the sides (stiffened things) and two the fiberglass material I used took a long time to arrive. I used a 6oz fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin as it adheres better to wood than polyester resin (the cheaper stuff at auto stores etc). Thankfully there is the web to research these things. Plus I designed "Pegado" (her name) which is spanish for glued. There are plenty of people here in the Pueblo Co area that speak spanish.

My hardest woodworking project to date. I say that, cause now the wife has ideas for more projects. :roll:

Later,

Wayne