Black fly option vs esquif ledge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Idahodawg
c

Black fly option vs esquif ledge

Post by Idahodawg »

Based on some feedback I received in another post, my research has got me really curious about these two boats. I am looking for a river running boat which will be used primarily in Idaho. Not much creeking here. Big water early season, more technical late season. Needs to surf well. Have been padding c1 for a while, interested in going OC-1 now. Would love to get some opinions.
IdahoDawg
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Black fly option vs esquif ledge

Post by Wendy »

I have owned the original L'Edge, lite L'Edge, and 2 versions of the Option. I will compare the latest version of the Option versus the L'Edge Lite. I am 5 ' 3 1/2' and 200#

Surfing: Option spins on a dime, L'Edge takes a little more effort; I prefer surfing the L'Edge and love how it handles big water
Speed: L'edge lite faster than Option going down river; Option might accelerate a little faster initially
Momentum: both carry their speed well for short boats
Turning: Option very crisp; L'Edge lite crisp
Boofing: Option- nice boofs, land on low brace more than desired; L'Edge outstanding boofs from initiation to flat landings with ease
Primary stability: L'Edge more stable
Secondary stability: both are excellent, the Option is slightly better
Dryness (without a pump lol): the newest Option is much dryer than the original at my weight, but the L'Edge is dryer, especially of course the decked L'Edge. Jeremy's new Octane 85 is much dryer than the Option for me, but I have only had one run in it so far. Add a pump and they all run dryer, or take dry lines of course :wink:
The Option has been an incredibly durable boat for SE boating, but heavy for me to carry while the L'Edge lite is a dream come true to make carrying easy. The L'Edge Lite is incredibly durable and handles low water elf creeks with ease as well as big water. The Option does the same. One key reason I prefer the L'Edge is the stability in holes and exiting them compared to the Option.
These are my experiences and humble opinions.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

My experience is more limited. I have run the Class II-III Nantahala twice in an original, fully-decked L'Edge, once in the most recent incarnation of the Option, and only briefly paddled the L'Edge light to do a little surfing and a few forward ferries and easy eddy turns.

I agree that the L'Edge is incredibly stable, forgiving, and dry. Although I didn't do any boofing since it was an NOC (not our canoe) boat, I can see how it would boof a bit better than the Option because of it's continuous rocker extending well toward amidships.

What I did not like about the L'Edge was it's considerable weight which made it feel sluggish to accelerate to me. Also, the central edge of the boat did not behave as I expected. Probably because of the continuous rocker, the edge engaged late, if at all, and I found myself either blasting through small eddies, or spinning but then sliding out the back side of them. This might have been due to lack of experience with the boat, lack of skill, or both, but I
have heard similar comments from boaters much more skilled than I am.

My brief experience with the L'Edge light was more positive. It accelerated much better from a dead stop, was easier to attain onto a surf wave, and just felt more lively in general.

The Option is a boat I liked very much. It is almost certainly a bit less forgiving and dry than the L'Edge, but still very good on both counts. It probably does have a little less primary and perhaps a little more secondary stability than the L'Edge. It is more as if it has continuous stability all the way from fully upright to fully on it's side with no abrupt fall off in stability at any point. The edges engage quicker and more easily than the L'Edge so it "snaps" into small eddies in a very pleasant way.

Based on my experience, given the type of paddling I do (seldom harder than Class III+ these days) and my current skill level, I would rule out the L'Edge original, and strongly consider either the Option or L'Edge Light. I would like to paddle the L'Edge Light a couple more times before it came down to a decision. I can see how the original L'Edge might appeal to hard-core creek boaters and/or those who run big Class IV+ water.
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

Anyone have an opinion on what the max weight is for the Option?
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

210 if you can paddle. I weigh 200 and keep it dry no pumps style.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I'm going to say an Option, especially the 3rd gen with the deeper ends, will handle 225-230lbs reasonably well, it'll just be a bit wet. A L'Edge will carry a bit more weight and an Octane91 is very near unsinkable.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

i don't know much about boat design but I would expect that it's what below the surface than counts.... i.e.. changing the gunnel lines shouldn't change the wt limit.

A good boater can paddle anything but 230 seems like a lot for an option but I d shoot Jeremy a message.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Speaking from experience as someone who is over 230lbs, the Option hull performs just fine for heavy boaters. The point about the higher shear lines relates to the dryness of the boat, not the hull performance.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Fair enough.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I've got a new green and a red L'Edge for sale at GEAR:30 in Ogden UT if you get down this way and are interested.
(Also- Prelude/Spanish Fly/Demo Bigdog OC1 Force reoutfitted for cheap)
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

The L'Edge rolls easier than the option and the new (light) one is about 1.5 inches longer (9 feet 3.5 inches) It is drier and more stable too due to its greater width. Definitely go with the original heavy L'Edge ... gives you more momentum to punch through that big water :O)
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

If it were my $$$ light l'edge hands down... the 10+ lbs. weight loss seals the deal. Boat or body image the difference you'd feel paddling/carrying 10 lbs. less overnight, it matters!
melamst

Post by melamst »

BUMP
Please forgive me if there are more recent threads for this topic! I found this in a search and am bumping it in case anyone wants to chime in.
I, too, am looking at these two boats (Option Vs. L'Edge Lite) for mostly New England paddling. I am 5'8", 200# - used to K1 in the South East - have been messing around in canoes for a while and am finally getting my own boat. We'll see if I get tempted to get onto some creeks, but I'll be mostly on rivers like the Dead, Penobscot, Pemi, etc. . . My backyard is the Mad in VT.

I'm gravitating toward the L'Edge Lite.
Opinions from those who know these boats?
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

You will find fanatical proponents of both the L'Edge and the Option. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I found the original, fully decked version of the L'Edge a bit sluggish. I did find it incredibly stable, dry, and forgiving, but in my hands, the chines engaged late entering small eddies which I disliked.

Although I agree that the Option is slightly less dry and has a bit less initial stability, it still has impressive dryness and stability for a boat of its size. In my hands, it seemed more lively than the heavy L'Edge.

I have paddled the L'Edge lite only very briefly but it seemed a much more lively boat than the original version. I have several friends with L'Edge lites who seem to really like them.

I think you should consider also the Octane 85. It is dimensionally very similar to the Octane but has sharper chines extending further toward the stems which I like. I think it is faster and drier than the Option.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

At 200 pounds the Octane 85 will catch those fun edges creeking. I read that the edges have been modified in the aluminum mold. Under 160 this is not an issue. I never catch edges in the lite or original L'edge. The Option was a fun boat but when I boofed for some reason the stern would catch and I flipped alot more than I wanted, so I sold mine. (I tried a couple- one with regular thwarts and the current version with wide thwarts). I personally love the lite L'Edge and Octane 91 for my body weight, height and age, as well as the Blink!