This old Outrage

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bkebs
Pain Boater

This old Outrage

Post by bkebs »

So, nobody bought my old outrage. I have decided to just keep paddling the old girl, so I pulled all the outfitting out and plan to repair her. There is a good crack right in front of where the saddle was and where the anchor point for the straps was. It has some rotten foam inside, so I was planning on scraping it out and filling the area with gorilla glue.

I am thinking about glassing the inside since I need to strengthen the cracked area. Should I sand it down through the vinyl before glassing? Also, I think I am going to go ahead and glass in the anchors so I can stop messing with glueing them in over and over. I will also be glassing some spots on the bottom of the hull.

Thoughts?
greybear
C Guru

Re: This old Outrage

Post by greybear »

I would try stabilizing around the saddle area first. I would make a bulkhead for your knees and take out the straps. This would take the pulling pressure off the hull some and extend the life of the boat. I would also dynel on the bottom under the saddle with gflex. The downside this will add weight.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Re: This old Outrage

Post by Jim Michaud »

Remove all of the outfitting, repair the canoe, then reinstall the outfitting 180° so that the stern is now the bow.