Nor cal open boaters? Resources??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Re: Nor cal open boaters? Resources??

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Heck I might drive over to get some of that pizza :)
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Hello Jim,
Let us know when you are passing thru. Boating is a possibility (the Truckee levels ramp down in the Fall so it is a little uncertain).
SYOTRiver,
Bruce
chicodavid

Post by chicodavid »

This thread is interestingly timely for me. I live just down the road in Chico. Once upon a time, I was a fairly decent open boater by California standards - did most of the runs that have been mentioned here back in the 90s, also the Colorado and a few other interesting things - but several years ago had a confluence of things happen that sort of caused me to drift away. Part of that was a boat that was not right for me, but I just got myself a - seriously old-school - boat that is a twin to the one I did my best work in - Dagger Impulse - and am itching to get back out in it. My schedule is tight the next couple of months - too much work and a couple of non-boating trips - but will keep an eye on this thread and maybe I can connect with some of you too at some point.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

I hope you can meet up with some of us, man! Keep in touch, Jefferson State needs a few more good open boaters!

Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

it seems as though there are enough open boaters here in CA where we might be able to arrange some type of impromptu Armada this fall... possible on the South Fork American?
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

If the Armada is planned, I hope to be there.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

I am very down for that. Someone bring some cameras!!!
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

OK, what does everyone think of a C-boat mini-armada getting together on the SoFo (South Fork American) on Sunday, September 22nd? A few runs possible depending on skill/ willingness to swim: C-G class II, or Gorge run class III. I'm down for either, or both. Date not set in stone, so if another works for more of us, just say so!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
esprit
C Guru

Post by esprit »

I can make it for Oct. 20... but won't have a boat.

What are the chances of begging, borrowing or renting one in or around Caloma or Sacramento?

Jim
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

I think that Sept. 21-22 is the date of the Mokelumne races, which would mean at least one less person, maybe more.

As far as esprit's question about hooking up with boats, there is a Rival at Sierra Outdoor Center in Auburn. Maybe they would rent it. That would be the only store that I know of in the area that has canoes.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

By that time I should have my prototype 'Beowulf' up and running, so I might be down to let you borrow my Encore. This isn't a 'you break it, you buy it' deal though. Its more of a 'you break it, you find me another circa late 80's LIGHTLY used Encore'. 8) I can probably make it down to there at the suggested time, or at another suggested time. I've always wanted to run the Gorge, so I'm totally down for that.

-Rob
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

Trinity River in Nor Cal, c-boats blow-out this weekend!
Meet at the Pigeon Pt put-in at 10 am on Sat 9/14.
Join us if you can.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Southern Oregon road trip + CA opportunities?

Post by Einar »

I am going to be on the Umpqua in S. Oregon on Sept 20-22 and then uncommitted.
Anything/anyone happening in the following week+ in northern California that could fit an o.c.'er in on? I'm pretty flexible.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

well there's the north feather release/party..9/28-9/29
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... /id/31680/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Larry
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

chicodavid wrote:This thread is interestingly timely for me. I live just down the road in Chico. Once upon a time, I was a fairly decent open boater by California standards - did most of the runs that have been mentioned here back in the 90s, also the Colorado and a few other interesting things - but several years ago had a confluence of things happen that sort of caused me to drift away. Part of that was a boat that was not right for me, but I just got myself a - seriously old-school - boat that is a twin to the one I did my best work in - Dagger Impulse - and am itching to get back out in it. My schedule is tight the next couple of months - too much work and a couple of non-boating trips - but will keep an eye on this thread and maybe I can connect with some of you too at some point.

Did you also paddle a Legend I think named the "Queen Mary" years ago?

Carol