Esprit Costa Rica/Mexico...Have you been?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

esprit
C Guru

Esprit Costa Rica/Mexico...Have you been?

Post by esprit »

Have you been on one of our winter paddling? If so... we would like to hear from you!

We are making a new website specifically for our winter programs and would LOVE to get some photos and stories about your tropical paddling adventures with us.

We are currently offering a free KOKATAT ROGUE DRYTOP for the best photo/story. We will select the "best" once we have 50 entered.

https://www.facebook.com/RiversAndRainforest?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you havn't been on one of our winter adventures yet... what could we do help you join us this year.

Would a payment plan, more guest paddlers, companion adventure, group/club discount, pre-season booking discount or any other suggestion help make our trips more accessible?

We would love to hear from you!

Jim
djutzi
C Guru

Re: Esprit Costa Rica/Mexico...Have you been?

Post by djutzi »

I've been, and it was amazing!

What would help me go back? If Esprit could get me some more vacation time from my job!
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

Wish i could go .... but cant afford that bill yet lol

..... looking at buying a boat and still as always looking for better employment
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I headed down this past Jan to Costa Rica finally after thinking about going on a trip with Esprit for years - decided that if I kept waiting for the timing / vacation / family thing to be "just right" I'd never go. My father and I went down, and I'm glad we did. GREAT and memorable trip, and not just from the gorgeous water we paddled either... delicious food, great scenery, and a very welcoming country. Jim, Barbara, Martin, and Lalo did a phenomenal job. Though I spend most of my time in a C1 I had a great time in an OC1, and given the warm water and air was likely more comfortable for it. So if you are a C1er not sure you want to spend time in an open boat, go and enjoy it.
Keep the C!
Adam
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Non-paddling spouse. :cry: ('nuff said?)
esprit
C Guru

Post by esprit »

Haha... Understood.

We've got you covered...We do have great trips for non paddlers as well!

j
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

What class II-III trips do you do?
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

solo_konoe wrote:Non-paddling spouse. :cry: ('nuff said?)
We went to Costa Rica with Esprit this year and loved it.

I'd say you'd be able to work something out with your non-paddling partner and Esprit. There's so much to do in Costa Rica and you'd be able to paddle some days while your partner does other things, then take off a few days from paddling so you can sight-see together.

I'd suggest going to Costa Rica at lower water so your partner can ride the raft for the 2 day Pacuare trip. That is worth it for the non-paddler in the group.
esprit
C Guru

Post by esprit »

Hi Wendy,

All our trips accommodate both Class 2/3 as well as 3/4 paddlers. We are ideally situated in areas where we have about 10 different runs available and can cater specifically to peoples skill level.

It is easy for us to split the group and operate on 2 different sections at the same time... keeping everyone paddling on sections appropriate to their skill/challenge level.

In Costa Rica it can be challenging in Nov. Dec. to ensure suitable class 2/3 as water levels are often high. January/Feb. give us lots of options though.

Our trip are also about more than just the river. We include alot of natural history and culture... so people leave feeling they got a unique and well rounded immersion in the country, its people and, of course, its rivers!

Hope to see you,

j
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

This is great info. A group could come and divide into 2 for more flexibility of skill levels. For me when I see the guests like Eli, et al running the harder sections I think I would love to go, but don't want over 6-7 foot drops. Pics always show the hardest rapids and might be reducing possible participants. Just my 2 cents.
I hope to get a group together at some point.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

Good point Wendy
Jim maybe get some more pics and info on easier runs for people who are looking for fun class 2/3. It is easy for people to get intimadated by some of the photos of the runs that many are looking for. We are still hoping to get south this winter.

A river like the Actopan in Mexico was a great level run for the intermediate boater and even something a bit easier would be fun for a lot of the canoers I know.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

My father had the same concerns about waterfalls - he had no interest in running them (a change from his 50's, when he did!). As mentioned already Jim did a great job splitting the group up and accommodating everyone's view for vacation - and ours was a tough group - world champion paddlers (Eli, Jeremy), and those with great skills (Richard, Cheeks), two folks who were there to learn to kayak, plus go horse back riding, raft the Lower Pacuare, zip line, etc..., and my father and I (I drop down to class III / IV in an open boat from lack of experience in one, my dad used to be similar but he was far more comfortable on the II / III in a ducky). Having worked as a raft guide for 20 years, and guided canoe trips occasionally as well, that's about as extreme as you can get... and it went very smoothly.

I'll also add in that to me the trip was as much about exploring a new country and its foods as it was the paddling and rivers. I'm very glad I actually didn't paddle one morning and instead did a jungle walk and chocolate plantation tour.

Other highlights were the scenery and fresh fruit juice and fresh produce. Wow I miss that.

I'll try and post up more later, and perhaps a few of the non-paddling pictures we took.
Keep the C!
Adam
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Eli dropping by my place reminded me to post up one of the awesome images he took and kindly shared with me...

One of the few (only?) non-Hudson WW Derby images of me in an open boat :o
Adam Ledge.jpg
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Well I'll be... darn an old dog can learn new tricks! great Pix. ;-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Oh, you'd think that... but...

Top of the Reventezon...
IMG_7290-2.jpg
Part way down...might be paddling a bit hard at this point...
IMG_7315-2.jpg

You ARE supposed to squirt an open boat...right? :o

(and yes, my "mystery" was about as successful as usual... though through the pillow I do think I was head under)
IMG_7318.jpg
Thankfully the L'Edge is a very stable boat...outfitted well by Esquif / Esprit 8)
IMG_7320-2.jpg
Not "quite" the line I intended, but lots of fun none the less.
IMG_7323.jpg

A HUGE thanks to Eli Helbert for taking the great images, and to Esprit for being as great as they are at what they do. And to all for putting up with a C1er;)
Keep the C!
Adam