Valve-covers for air bags

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

djutzi
C Guru

Valve-covers for air bags

Post by djutzi »

I'm trying to fix up a bunch of old air bags for my canoe club...a recurring problem is broken off and missing valve covers.

I've tried going to my local paddling store/outfitter to see if they could a) sell me new replacements; or b) sell me or give me old valve covers from their vast rental fleet. No luck there...just a suggestion of buying brand new air bags.

I'm wondering if anybody knows where I might be able to find what some new or used valve covers. The air bags are generally a mixed bag of old yellow bags with red valves...I guess there might be some variation in size, but they seem to be roughly the same.

Thanks!
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Valve-covers for air bags

Post by ezwater »

Maybe NRS would have them.

In a pinch, you can fold the tube over on itself and tie it in that position. Obviously not a permanent solution.
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

NRS, and for failed dump valves (the big ones) you could replace them with a cheap kind of raft valve. Also NRS..
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

You can pick up IV tube pinch closures from any surgical supply place, they work great.-M-
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Sorry I should have specified, I meant covers for the big dump valves.

I'll check out NRS.

Thanks for the feedback.