A few site updates...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

A few site updates...

Post by Sir Adam »

We've finally taken care of a few things we've been slowly working on site-wise:
-upper right link to R3 - everyone who paddles should definitely check out their (free) videos. Special Thanks again to Jim Coffey for letting us link through to on our banner to help get the word out
-New navigation in upper left - the "Boat Museum", which is what this site started as before we took over the CForum that was on Network 54 started by DaveM and SWRiverstone to organize the C1 Concordia in '99 is now under the "Boats" link

We also have a number of new Sponsors - RiverELf, Mohawk is back with us, Paddle Patagonia, and Madawaska Canu Centre have join in sponsoring this site.

As time goes on I do hope to improve the image quality of the boat images in the "Boat Museum". 10+ years ago when we started the site very few folks had high speed internet access (though we did think our 28.8 or 56k modems were fast!), and all the images were reduced in size and quality so they would actually load on folks computers. Times have obviously changed, but we haven't upgraded the images yet. With several hundred boats cataloged it will take some time.

We're sticking with the Google ads for now as our hosting costs have gone up quite a bit (going back to a more reliable host, more traffic, and keeping a SSL version of the site to help protect our users (especially mobile) has meant our hosting costs have literally gone up 5 fold).

Thank you all for being part of the CBoats community, and have a great 4th of July.
Keep the C!
Adam
magicmike
C Guru

Re: A few site updates...

Post by magicmike »

Adam- How can those of us who benefit from this site so much contribute to the cause? Thanks -M-
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

^^ +1 on that! I'd like to help any way I can...
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

We'll get back to you on that - and thanks for the thanks, and thinking of us:)

When we first started out our expenses were more than our revenue. Now we have enough revenue to cover the expenses, plus can give back (sponsoring OC nationals, Hudson Derby, donation to Upper Yough takeout, etc...). Ever few years I send all our moderators a calendar too:)

Years ago we tried a "Sponsorship" via CafePress, but we've been meaning to set up something like Bitpay or Paypal for donations. Maybe this will give us the shove to finally do it:)

All the thanks we get really does mean a lot - and keeps us going!
Keep the C!
Adam
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The site just keeps getting better! And a big thanks to all the sponsors/advertisers.

One suggestion: It would be great to increase the size limits on the avatar. I've never been able to get any image that small with the photo editing software I have.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

I 2nd Milkman's idea.

Forgot to say: great site, minimum hassles, lots of good info, good attitude all round.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

In the FWIW department...

I tried a boat search while I was not logged in and got this header across the top of the resulting page.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/home/nmuc/public_html/cboats.net/includes/html-head.inc:25)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/home/nmuc/public_html/cboats.net/includes/html-head.inc:25)
Bob P
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Bob (and anyone else) - if you are able to repeat and get the error message please let me know - I haven't been able to replicate it (yet). Kenneth will look in to it in more detail when time allows. We're trying to figure out if it is a random "blip" or something in the site code that needs fixing....

Thanks for letting us know!
Keep the C!
Adam
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

The good part is that I haven't been able to replicate it myself, after I logged in and then out again.
Bob P
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

It's possible you were searching at exactly the time I was updating the header? If I'm updating a file, there's a 3 second window where it can cause weird behavior like that. Or maybe it was during some maintenance being performed.