Boat of the Week - Mohawk Maxim

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Boat of the Week - Mohawk Maxim

Post by Sir Adam »

The Maxim has experienced some renewed interest the past few years; I recall paddling with Maxwell at one of the early North Branch Armadas... and proudly own one of the beafy sticks he built for a while too!

http://www.cboats.net/c_db/list.php?typ ... name=Maxim" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep the C!
Adam
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: Boat of the Week - Mohawk Maxim

Post by Todhunter »

Does Maxwell paddle anywhere, anymore? I'd like to see a picture of the paddle he made.

So, the Maxim. My 2nd WW boat, I started paddling it for my 4th time on white water. Sharp chines plus total lack of initial stability ensured a steep learning curve for a beginner - I swam everything, and I mean everything. 10+ swims per outing was typical. But, I didn't get discouraged, and I kept trying, and it made me a much better boater. Talk about light...even with airbags, a royalex (mine was not royalite) hull, and a pump/NiMH battery, it was still super light. I really enjoyed the short length after coming from an Encore. I only paddled it for about 10 months before I got a L'Edge, but in that time I grew faster as an open boater than I have in my entire paddling career.

I'd be curious to try one now that I can roll and have gotten better.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Toddhunter you are welcomed to mine at anytime
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I'll bet the Mohawks wished they had Maxims!

Rat-a-tat-tat. 8)
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

For the last few years the Maxim has been my boat of choice, it will handle anything you throw at it. It loves to eat up the steep creeks then play big water for desert. It boofs surfs and plays in holes great it is the first boat I have ever been in that has no upper limits of what it will handle. It takes a minute to figure it out but when you do you are ready to rip a river up
Richard Guin
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

if people have some history on these 'boat of the week" entries Id love to hear. having gotten in to canoeing after 2000, I'm curious as to what was going on when some of these designs happened.

oh and Richard.. is the Rodeo out of production?
Proud Yankee
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

History, stories, and images... that's what the Boat of the Week series is all about! I know some boats have more stories associated with them than others... but given some of the folks who have paddled Maxims (Richard, Maxwell, and FullGnarlz of course!) there have GOT to be some great stories and images out there :wink:
Keep the C!
Adam
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jHH3nViEwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... MDkxf8mvBk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out these
Richard Guin
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I have many shots of #FullGnarlz upright as well.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Great shot!
aweinert
c

Post by aweinert »

I paddle a Maxim for 3 years before finally killing it. The lack of primary stability made for a dynamic ride.
The worst part is the stern dent you get in the boat, when I bought mine it had one already, though enough duck tape takes care of that. Finally killed it on the Tellico of all places, a nice footlong full crack under the saddle / Drings.
561924_4750781052755_1561824338_n.jpg
2013-07-02_11-38-19_319.jpg