stern-mount camera

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

esprit
C Guru

Re: stern-mount camera

Post by esprit »

YUP!

I just took a flat mount... pressed it on, put a security tether to the grab handle and that was it. Will have some footage from that angle up soon.

j
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

esprit wrote:YUP!

I just took a flat mount... pressed it on, put a security tether to the grab handle and that was it. Will have some footage from that angle up soon.
j
All my Stern-cam videos were done with the flat GP mount duck-taped to my stern deck, plus a safety tether to the grab loop. Of course, my boats tend to be longer than 12 feet, so the camera takes in less of me and more of the watery environment.

http://youtube.com/ctcboater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob P
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

truckeeboater wrote:With the abundance of helmet-mounted POV paddle videos being posted these days I've gotten to thinking: how cool would it be to be able to see MORE? Then when I saw the Sweet Skills trailer video a while back, I saw it at about 1:28: the camera angle that would (potentially) change how we film our exploits. Check out the vid to see what I mean. I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with any type of vertical, stern-mounted camera post that would allow the viewer to see not only what the paddler sees, but also the torso and head (and therefor ALL the paddle-strokes) of the paddler. I've thought at length about what would provide the strength, durability and ease of installation (as well as un-installation) of said camera-mount but can't seem to come to a good enough theoretical conclusion that I would feel comfortable with before drilling a hole in my boat.

So... has anyone else out there done this? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
The main problem is a cameras battery. On back of OC-1 camera is too far, so you cant switch it on or off manually. You need camera with remote control.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

just buy the gopro remote then :D

and why you are at it buy a second battery and replace it in the middle of the day or if you don't want that buy the backpack battery for more than double the battery capacity.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

My experience with Go Pro is that the wi fi necessary to use the remote kills the battery in no time and the auxiliary battery "backpack" will often freak out the firmware and render the camera inoperative. One of the many issues with the Hero3. Just get your buddy to turn it on.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

try the newer model 3+ for better firmware. updating the rev 3 product does not do much good...agreed.
esprit
C Guru

Post by esprit »

In my boat (L'Edge Lite) I just turn around and turn it off. Maybe I have long arms but it isn't a big deal.

j
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

If necessary, I just have a paddling companion hit the pause or off button.

If you have an extra battery or two, and a large SD card, you can do the whole thing yourself when you stop to scout or rest.
Bob P
nerd85

Post by nerd85 »

truckeeboater wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:07 pm Update to my stern-mount camera idea... taking into consideration some points made earlier, I have tweaked the golf club idea a bit using two arrow shafts I found while out walking with my dog. One was aluminum and one was carbon fiber. As luck would have it, the carbon fiber one was just small enough to fit inside the aluminum one, and BOTH were small enough to be sufficiently jammed into the end of the in a golf club. This really stiffens up the golf club shaft, hopefully eliminating the swing/snap/wobble factor which would result in a nauseating view for sure. Still kinda stumped on a way to mount to the stern without drilling or shoving in/around/near airbags. I picked up a couple of small c-clamps at the hardware store and temporarily zip tied and gorilla taped them to the bottom of the golf club at 45 degree angles. dunno if this will work out though. any suggestions for actually mounting the shaft to the boat? thanks!
You are technically sound in golf science.