How many Kevlar Sunbursts were made?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

zappaddles
Pain Boater

How many Kevlar Sunbursts were made?

Post by zappaddles »

Having owned a Kevlar Blue Hole Sunburst 1 for a few years I was under the impression there were only 13 of these boats made in Kevlar and only as a special order for Steve Scarboroughs' racing team.

Just last week I bought a brand new old-stock (1987 model) never been in the water, never been outfitted and always stored inside Kevlar Sunburst 1. The lay-up on this boat is more refined than on the "racing" hull and judging from the serial numbers only 46 hulls seperate one from the other.

Here's the question(s): How many of these boats were made in Kevlar? Does anyone know of others out there?
"I'm with you fellers"
ezwater
C Maven

Re: How many Kevlar Sunbursts were made?

Post by ezwater »

When at NOC long ago, I saw one and was told about what you heard, that one had to ask through the racing folks.

If yours has a little different layup, can you tell if they used an outside layer of glass to cut the fuzzing?
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

ezwater, Both boats appear to have come out of the same mold. I can say with certainty there is no fglass on the race boat and likely isn't on the "new" boat. The lay-up on the race boat wasn't done with near the amount of care as the other boat. The new boat has the typical reinforcing bands that run from gunnel to gunnell in the lay-up whereas the race boat has none.

I'll post pictures when I get back in town.
"I'm with you fellers"
madmike
C Guru

Post by madmike »

I have encountered three, and know where 2 are....
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Do you know how to read blue hole serial #s?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

While I worked at Lincoln canoes in '87 and '88, we built approx 6 of these Sunbursts for Bluehole. Not sure if any were made after I left.
JKaz......
goldencanoe

Post by goldencanoe »

I believe that I have one of these boats. I believe that the boat is the prototype to what became the Bluehole Sunburst. I purchased it from Bob Lantz. It is a Kevlar vacuum bagged hull with a foam core in the bottom of the hull. My understanding is that it is 6 inches longer than what became the Bluehole Sunburst. It has the Waterline name on its side. When I got the boat, the outwales were rotten and needed to be replaced.
tennOC
Pain Boater

Post by tennOC »

The Waterline boat was most likely a Seeker which was the original design by Fritz Orr. Could be raced solo or tandem. Steve Scarborough may have been involved in the design as well. I know he and Annie raced tandem in one. The Seeker went on to become the Sunburst. I first saw this canoe at the Mulberry races in '83.
BrownDog Boats- "Bring the Dog"
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

The hull serial number is TBH16548H887. Other than "the blue hole" (TBH) and the last 2 digits signifying it was made in 1987 I'm don't know about reading the serial numbers. Help is appreciated.
"I'm with you fellers"
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The rest of the numbers pretty much dont mean anything.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker