Hand Roll

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dave.E
C Guru

Hand Roll

Post by Dave.E »

How do I hand roll a canoe? I have tried a number of times but just carp around for a while. :lol:
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paddle Power
C Maven

Re: Hand Roll

Post by Paddle Power »

I can't hand roll a canoe, not that I've really tried but I used hand roll a kayak using the same roll sans the paddle. Just think and use more hip roll and wait until the last second to use your hands, and even then, use them in sequence.

I hope others add more information and suggestions, and even video links.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

How close are you? If you re aren't even close, work on your regular roll some more.

Get tighter in your boat... even if you think it's snug, get tighter.

If you re in a boat that turtles, try flipping to your offside and keeping your momentum.

I find a life jacket gets in the way, if you re just figuring out the movement, try somewhere safe without the lifejacket.

Here's a vid of me messing around in the pool a couple years ago. If i look like I m surprised when I get a roll, it's because I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUgGw3QlcM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tm262

Post by tm262 »

At first keep your momentum going. Be sure to keep your head on the deck as long as possible.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

All great tips so far - I'll summarize, plus add:
-It is VERY helpful to be tight in the boat
-it is mostly hip snap - if you rely a lot on your paddle to roll, go back and work on your roll until you are barely using your paddle to brace off of
-I use what I think of as a "circular" body motion - hip snap from "C to C", then my body sweeps down and over the deck -
-I tend to use my hands to start, not finish the roll, but others may be right in their timing.
-I started out using Power Pawz (hand paddles) and getting a roll with them, THEN went without them. Other folks have used a PFD to push off of as a way to wean themselves off a paddle for rolling.

Some boats are easier to hand roll than others. I think I've hand rolled my Acrobat, Wheelboy, and Mentor. I should try the Sith one of these days, but right now I'm not sure I could hand roll any of them as my core is pretty weak... and you need not only good timing, but a good strong hip snap (core muscles) to roll boats of volume.
Keep the C!
Adam
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The Octane 91 is easy to hand roll since its sides are rounded. I did it accidentally the first time. Of course, mine are just onside low brace hand rolls so far.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Think about it as body position (body 90deg from boat, facing bottom of river/pool, arms extended) and ALL hipsnap. This helps take away the bad habit of trying to push down on the hands. Then, at the end of the hipsnap concentrate on trying to put your offside hand in the water on the opposite side you just rolled on, while keeping your onside hand wet. This keeps the body low and centers you quickly over the boat as its impossible to be upright with both hands in the water on opposite sides of the boat.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Start with hand paddles.

I have only been able to hand roll an OC using three separate hand strokes. What I envision is starting perpendicular to the hull for maximum leverage to start the boat rolling, and swimming my torso forward towards the hull so that I can get back in.

Breaking it down:
- Float at 90 degrees to the boat, back arched.
- Initiate hip snap to get boat rolling.
1) Drive down with both hands to continue roll
- Start sweeping torso forward towards bow.
2) Arm closer to the bow (my left) reaches forward and takes a downward stroke, at approximately 45 degrees to the boat's axis.
- Right as head begins to cross gunwale,
3) arm closer to stern (my right) takes a crawl stroke parallel to gunwale to help finish roll. Left arm is flung out over opposite gunwale to keep rolling momentum.

Gaby is one of the better hand rollers I've seen, but she uses many tiny sculling strokes to move her torso forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XdLCi ... redirect=1
FURZTROCKEN!