The Most Insanely Easy To Roll Canoe Ever Created

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

The Most Insanely Easy To Roll Canoe Ever Created

Post by boatbuster »

Yesterday evening I took my new (to me) L'Edge out in the pond to do some roll practice. I have owned a number of boats that roll really easily (such as my Savage Superfly and an old Phantom OC1-Kanubi gave me) but I have never experienced anything as easy to roll as this 2011 L'Edge.

Paddle not all the way to the surface? Not a problem. Hip snap weak? Not a problem. Several times it felt like the boat was righting itself with just a small amount of knee pressure. I ended up doing some rolls with mostly my body propelling the boat and a kind of paddle twirl over my head that I have never done before! Now granted this was in flat water, but I have also rolled the L'Edge in current and it seems to be just as great there.

Some folks have compared the L'Edge to a short Ocoee, but to me the Ocoee is very difficult to roll. The L'Edge seems to me significantly easier to roll than the Option I owned (I wish someone had clued me in on this fact when I was going round and round last year about which boat to buy). I am not saying the Option is hard to roll; it is not. It is just that, for me, the L'Edge is The Most Insanely Easy to Roll Canoe Ever Created!

How about for you?
ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: The Most Insanely Easy To Roll Canoe Ever Created

Post by ian123 »

I thought the spanish fly rolled a little easier. Sounds like you re pretty happy with your purchase- that's great!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Shows how subjective/personal this is - I was just talking to someone with a roll in his Viper who tried hard and could not get a reliable roll in the Spanish Fly, so what's easy for some doesn't work for everyone!

Pat.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

To the Spark is the easiest.... and the Outrage X the hardest.... :roll:
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The CU-Fly is the easiest to roll, for me at least.

Now thats a phrase you're not going to hear very often!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
funkidreadz
C Guru

Post by funkidreadz »

I agree, the L'Edge is an easy canoe to roll, loads of people I know also say this. Then why oh why is it SO hard to hand roll?
The SpanishFly is also an easy roll and is also one of the easiest canoes to hand roll, why hasn't this also transferred with the L'Edge?
Just a thought for the morning
Paddle safe
James