whats the diff in wood and vinyl gunnels

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the3carrs
c

whats the diff in wood and vinyl gunnels

Post by the3carrs »

What's the difference on a canoe...like an ovation with wood gunnels or vinyl gunnels? Really don't want the trouble of upkeep on wood ones but the ovations I've seen lately have wood gunnels. Can they be changed out inexpensively? What's the difference/is one better than the other? Thanks!
ezwater
C Maven

Re: whats the diff in wood and vinyl gunnels

Post by ezwater »

Wood grows on trees.

Vinyl is skinned from Naugahydes. It is then chewed by moose, and extruded from their lips in gunwale form.

As Bob and Ray used to say, "We're offering this genuine imitation Naugahyde bag....."
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

Wood is bouyant/vinyl is not. Vinyl requires no maintenance/wood requires minimal maintenance for optimum longevity. Vinyl gunnels can get water in them and can be problematic (especially in cold climates)/wood absorbs a bit of water but big deal. Rivets holding vinyl gunnels together can fail (happened on my Ocoee)/wood screws will (virtually) never fail. Wood gunnels are beautiful/ vinyl gunnels are not. Wood gunnels can splinter into sharp points at inoportune times/vinyl gunnels will just fold like a cheap suit (or possibly break). Hope this helps.
"I'm with you fellers"
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Usually, wood gunnels make for a stiffer boat and lighter as well! Wood gunnels on a RX boat can be problematic if left on at temperature bellow(bellow -15F).