Riversport Slalom August 17-18

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

old and in the way
C Guru

Riversport Slalom August 17-18

Post by old and in the way »

Please plan to attend the 2013 Riversport Slalom, held on Ramcat Rapid on the Middle Yough August 17-18- All details can be found on our website http://www.riversportslalom.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (there's also a little vintage late 1980's slideshow to enjoy, I know PAC will recognize a couple faces)

If you find yourself joining us, please give thought to getting there Thursday or Friday to lend a hand with course construction. We are also seeking volunteers to serve as safety boats and river cops on race day (control the rec and raft traffic). All we can offer for your assistance is a cold beer and good River Karma, but if I know this crew you can find a use for both.

Thanks, and hope to see you there,
Jim

Can we get a sticky, please?
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Riversport Slalom August 17-18

Post by PAC »

...there's also a little vintage late 1980's slideshow to enjoy, I know PAC will recognize a couple faces
. thanks Jim! :-(

Hope to be there for safety / traffic and putt-about through the gates inbetween races to show how my skills sux! C U there!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

Hi Jim...I live in Morgantown now and am itching to paddle in gates again, so I'll be there! I may be able to drive up Thursday evening after work and help with course construction (plenty of experience there!), so I'll let you know as we get closer.

On a different topic...is there any chance the gates could stay up at Ramcat for a while? (I don't know if they usually just go up and come down only for race weekend?) I'm getting near-desperate to find someplace to hang some training gates that's not too far from Morgantown. I talked with Kara Weld a while back and she said she'd love the same---it would be great to get a slalom training program going somewhere around here!

Scott (Wilkinson)
old and in the way
C Guru

Scott - That is fantastic, thanks! We look forward to seeing you there.

Gates - That would be great to be able to keep them up, but our permit from the park, permission from the DCNR, Papal dispensation, etc is just for the race. I would hazard a guess that anyone wanting to keep gates up for an extended period of time would need the requisite authorizations. It is my understanding that much of this stems from the helicopter incident many years ago.

Again, thanks for being willing to come up early!
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

What was the helicopter incident?
swriverstone
C Boater

Post by swriverstone »

I don't know any details...but it had something to do with (my interpretation) an idiot pilot flying dangerously low over the water and running into wires across the river. (I don't think anyone was hurt...)

And it would be like the bureaucracy to blame the wires and not the pilot. <rolling eyes>

Scott
old and in the way
C Guru

Less than 30 days! Get your entries in and let's see if we can have C boats outnumber the kayaks!

We are still in need of another volunteer or 2 to work safety and help control rec traffic on race day. Good river karma cannot be bought!

Thanks!
Jim