Poll - potential for new regional canoe event

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

If a whitewater canoe festival was held in upstate NY in early August, would you go?

Definitely!
34%
Maybe, if the clinics or other folks attending look interesting
10%
Maybe, if I can find the time / set up as family vacation
38%
No way (too far, no interest, etc...)
10%
Interested, but not in early August
7%

Total votes: 29

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Poll - potential for new regional canoe event

Post by Sir Adam »

After having gone to many great festivals, knowing how hard it can be to find good water to paddle in August, and knowing of some potential changes taking place that would guarantee class III water for a summer event (and class IV if folks didn't mind a longer day), I've been giving some thought to trying to put together an event for 2014. The idea of a summer upstate NY fest wasn't mine, and having talked about it with a few folks there seems to be interest, including at least one of the canoe manufacturers (and I would hope the others would join us!). My thought is to have a fest with clinics and a few different runs over a long weekend.

I hope to approach some local groups that might be able to actually really sponsor such a gathering and help with logistics and such.

BUT, first I want to get an idea if there is any interest.

To me the area lends itself well to such an event - multiple rivers to paddle within 45 min of each other (dam release), in addition to numerous other runs if it were to actually rain. PLUS lots of things for the remainder of the family - hiking, horseback riding, flatwater, mountain biking, ropes course, paintball, etc... are all in the immediate area. Oh, and camping, plus other types of lodging too.

Sooo... on to the poll...
Keep the C!
Adam
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Re: Poll - potential for new regional canoe event

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Count me in I love the idea my wife has fam in NY I could kill to birds with one trip
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Yankee-Fest

:lol:

Where's Mark?
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Still trying to finish up my schooling this year, but hopefully by spring 2014, we will be moving back to Vermont. I would definitely try to attend an event in NY in the late summer.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Count me in.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Thank you for all the solid responses - and keep them coming! I'm hoping to be able to go to the local chamber with some basic numbers, knowing we'll likely have more if and when we can be more specific.

It would be GREAT to have representatives from the current boat builders - and it looks like we're off to a good start on that one:)
Keep the C!
Adam
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Absolutely! First or second weekend in August would be my suggestion.

With the Gooley Club and OK slip land acquisition, it would be great to bring some paddling attention for the Hudson River Gorge and show the State of NY how much we appreciate that slice of heaven. I always feel bad that the derby isn't a bigger event, but its a tough time of a year. An August festival in NY is perfect. Let me know if I can help.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

What time in August? I smell a road trip! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

It's been so long.
I'd love to come up and bring the family. Well the family is out of the coup so it will probably be me and the wife, but, I have a grandson on the way so maybe in a few years it will be family again.
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

I love the ideer, but August is a tough month for this house with the Riversport Slalom usually the third weekend (and the requisite 4-5 days away from home it takes to pull that race off).
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
Stingray
C Guru

Post by Stingray »

Count me in, The NY Governor is pushing for more opportunities in northern NY that tourist can enjoy, I'll bet his office could help a club or some other entity get this going. I'll bet the Adirondack Watershed Alliance or Central Adirondack Association, and the NY DEC could all step up to recruit whatever you may need, releases, camp grounds, etcc....

Northern NY is a great place to go.