Battery to build a Lightweight Bilge Pump Syetem

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

arhdc
CBoats Addict

Battery to build a Lightweight Bilge Pump Syetem

Post by arhdc »

A common topic of discussion is the question of lightweight batteries to use for a bilge pump. Well, I was trolling the internet and came across this.

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion18650 ... eplug.aspx

I haven't used one in a bilge pump setup or even held one in my hands but the price is right and the specs are spot on to run a single Attwood Tsunami 1200. It may or may not run two, it's got a 4.2A cutoff built in (good to prevent it catching on FIRE) so if that is accurate and the Attwood Tsunami 1200 specs are correct that it draws 3.5A then dual pumps would require two. The price says "promotional" so I'm not sure how long this price lasts. The weight for the battery is only 1/2 pound and its sealed to be waterproof, it's also internally regulated so it doesn't need a fuse

Here is a link for a charger that should work with it:

http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... rplug.aspx

If you want to use the connector that is built into the pack then you need two of these to set up the charger and the connection in your boat:

http://www.batteryspace.com/connectorad ... lcord.aspx

If you want to look at specs for the Attwood Tsunami 1200 here is the link:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/ ... e-spec.pdf

Anyway, I'm not endorsing this battery because I haven't used one but for anyone interested in putting together the lightest possible bilge pump system this looks like the ticket for $72 +SH (Battery, Charger and connectors).
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Re: Battery to build a Lightweight Bilge Pump Syetem

Post by Big Al »

Thank you, Aaron. Quie informative.

Big Al
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Thanks Aron,just what I'm after.More proof this is the best website for boaters.Question...is there a problem with some battery packs catching fire?If for some reason I don't get this one,what is the process for elimination of going down like a Zeppelin?
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

"Question...is there a problem with some battery packs catching fire?If for some reason I don't get this one,what is the process for elimination of going down like a Zeppelin?"

The issue with lithium ion battery's is they can get hot enough to catch fire if they are discharged too quickly. They have the capacity chemically to discharge very fast so in instances where they are being severely overloaded or they are shorted out they can be problematic. This is one if the concerns with using things like converted laptop battery's for bilge pumps.

From what I can see most of the generic lithium ion battery packs out there today have some sort if integrated overload protection. The battery's I linked to above are regulated to a max discharge rate if 4.2 amps so fire due to overload should not be an issue.
~Aaron~

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

One caveat with those Trail-Tech plugs. I replaced a dead MTB light system battery with one from batteryspace - no complaints with the battery's performance, but the connector would definitely not be waterproof. The male connector had what looked like a built in o-ring to mate with a matching circular groove in the female connector. In theory, the two would snap together and form a reasonably tight seal; however, the ring part was molded from the same hard plastic as the rest of the connector, so I was never able to push the two together far enough to actually engage the ring and groove.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

It might be nice to have waterproof connections but unless you are running in saltwater it is not a big deal.

Most home made bilge systems are all or partially wet systems with no attempt to waterproof at all. I have seen many bilge systems where a SLA battery is strapped in, terminals connected, non-waterproof switch and non-waterproof connectors that run fine for years. My bilge pump is all wet, no waterproofing at all at this point. I always keep a bit of dielectric grease in the connections and put a glob in the switches that come apart to make them a bit more hydrophobic (water hating) and it seems to help with corrosion. The effort to waterproof and keep waterproof is just not worth it to me. Plus if things are sealed too well if water seeps in it can't get back out.

If you really want to prevent corrosion in a connector you can take them apart after each trip and use something like aerosol silicone to displace the water and dry things out or rinse with rubbing alcohol to dilute the water and evaporate quickly.

NOTE: The power regulation part of the Lithium Ion battery should be waterproofed, thus the waterproof battery pack :D
~Aaron~

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

I don't worry about waterproofness for lead acid battery setups, but I got the impression (from others on here, not personal experience) that a lithium system needs to be kept dry even at the connectors to avoid shorting out. Maybe that's just overkill...
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'm using waterproof connectors for my Li-Ion setup: http://www.batteryspace.com/connectorad ... lcord.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I have had those connectors Matt uses. The do hold up better than the unipolar I have been using. Gla dto know where to buy them Matt. Thanks.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

arhdc, I've been using the connectors shown in your link for the past 5 years and not had a problem, except that in cold water or weather, they are hard to connect and hard to take apart. Other than that, no problem. My system is 12 AA NiMH (2600 mAh, 14.4 volts) in a piece of 2 inch diameter pvc tubing. Weighs 34.5 ounces and powers an Atwood V1250. I have yet to replace the batteries in the five years I've used them, and yes they are from batteryspace.com. NiMH are a simple and reliable energy system. I realize that the tsunami 1200 draws more amps than the old V1250, but you could go up to c-cells. Just a thought.

Marc
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

I just picked up a rechargeable lead acid for my pump today. small lead acid. weighs the same as a lithium in a case. cheap, easy to use.
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

Some details on battery type,cost,etc. would be great .

Have you used it yet or previously?How long will the charge last?

Thanks....
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

powersonic 12v. 1.4Ah VRLA Battery costs about $25 plus $40 for charger. it lasts me a bit more than a full day of creeking in a l'edge. i don't use it to empty after a roll, but for the couple of inches of water that splashes in.
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Picture 37.png
Picture 37.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 6566 times
I'm gonna give ya'll fair warning about that battery, It may or may not work, The problem is that most of the T1200's pull more than 4.2 amps upon start-up. Even thought the specs say it only pulls 3.5 amps continuous, its gonna pull more from the battery during start-up under load.
See attachments. These batteries have a polyswitch built into them to proctect them from damage, If the pump draws more than 4.2 amps upon start-up it cause the battery to shut down. Thus no Pump.
I've had Much Larger Li-Ions with 7amp poly switches fail to operate under load (ie. Water in the Boat)
:-?
And I also have two 14.8v Li-ion with 7amp poly switches built into them that operate flawlessly :roll: So it is a wicked science !
Attachments
Picture 46.png
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............